Rob's Reviews > Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days

Ex Machina, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

May 21, 2010

bookshelves: graphic-novels, read-in-2010

Brian K. Vaughan has two main strengths as a writer, character and dialogue, which are on full display in the first volume of Ex Machina. Mitchell Hundred, the superhero turned NYC mayor, is an instantly likeable hero despite being somewhat incompetent at the whole superhero business, and he has a strong supporting cast, the best being the cranky Russian inventor known as Kremlin. Since this volume is mainly just introducing the cast and the backstory, Vaughan's strengths get a lot of chance to shine.

I really liked the idea of "the world's only superhero", as well as a realistic portrayal of how well actual superheroics would turn out. The story strains credibility even within its premise at some points -- I just don't buy, for example, that an obscene modern art exhibit would be front-page news. The art, drawn by Tony Harris and inked by Tom Feister, does its job well enough but never draws attention to itself. It sort of looks like the art from Runaways, another Vaughan series.

All in all a strong first volume, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the series develops.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ex Machina, Vol. 1.