Misfit's Reviews > The Jewel of St. Petersburg

The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall

May 21, 2010

bookshelves: get-it-from-the-library, abandoned
Read from August 30 to 31, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of St. Petersburg.

08/30/2010 page 113
08/31/2010 page 185
44.0% "OK Pat. I'm past page 142 and not sure what happened to throw you out." 1 comment
08/31/2010 page 212
50.0% ""Was her skin dead before? It must have been. Pale, lifeless and limp. Because it came alive on the reindeer rung in a way Valentina didn't know was possible. She no longer recognized this extraordinary covering on her body as hers. Each pore, each fine layer, each smooth unexplored part of it possessed a separate existence of its own that only needed the touch of Jen's lips to bring it to life." I yield." 7 comments

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I tried the Russian Concubine a while back by the same author.. Didn't draw me in.

message 2: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit You know me, I'll try anything as long as it's someone else's nickle :)

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia What do you think of this one so far Misfit? I agree with Tara, I couldn't get into TRC and gave up on it. I have peeked into The Red Scarf and it was better.

message 4: by Elysium (new)

Elysium How is it going? It sounds really interesting!

message 5: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Sorry, I've been out at the UBS with Michele (what a haul).

So far I like it a lot, it might be a bit on the romancey side (too early to tell).

message 6: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Let me know when you get to p.142 or so, that's where I had to quit. I'll tell you what turned me off about this book.

message 7: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Uh oh. I'll probably hit it tomorrow Pat.

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit
I read 'The Russian Concubine' by same author - 2 stars from me. Obviously, I wasn't enthralled. By the end of it I never could work out who the Russian concubine was supposed to me - the mother or the daughter!
Why didn't 'The Jewel' work for you?

message 9: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Jill wrote: "Misfit

Jill, the quote above was the kicker, but other than that I just wasn't buying into the story, nor the characters themselves. I'm not talking historical facts either, just things that should make common sense and they don't. I can't put my finger on it, but her writing style was a bit odd as well.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Okay, I just read the comments above. And I understand what you mean. I have a feeling K. Furnivall is not going to be an auto-buy author for us.

message 11: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Jill wrote: "Okay, I just read the comments above. And I understand what you mean. I have a feeling K. Furnivall is not going to be an auto-buy author for us."

King County has all of her books but I believe I'll pass. One final thought was comparing the way the tensions between the classes were with this book to CHE's Emily. Night and day, and that probably had a lot of affect on my reading experience.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* I read the Red Scarf & enjoyed that one..but I think III pass on this one...IMHO Misfit's reviews are pretty dead on..Id rather spend my reading time on something better.

message 13: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 03, 2010 01:20AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie Misfit, hmmm, my hunch proved righ. You dumped it. I have not added it to my list. Thanks for the info. You didn't write a review concerning WHY you abandoned it!

message 14: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) Interesting? Haven't read any of her books, but they are on my to read list. I'll wait for free copies.

message 15: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Chrissie wrote: "Misfit, hmmm, my hunch proved righ. You dumped it. I have not added it to my list. Thanks for the info. You didn't write a review concerning WHY you abandoned it!"

Chrissie, I put something up on my blog. Forgot to post the link here. http://misfitandmom.wordpress.com/201...

Sandi wrote: "I read the Red Scarf & enjoyed that one..but I think III pass on this one...IMHO Misfit's reviews are pretty dead on..Id rather spend my reading time on something better."

I'd still like to see a few more try this and see if its just me again. Pat dumped it around page 140 though. Library only though IMHO, and her books are available in US libraries.

message 16: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Misfit - after reading your blog entry - my suspicions were confirmed.

message 17: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Chrissie wrote: "Misfit - after reading your blog entry - my suspicions were confirmed."

This is an author who will probably always get mixed opinions. I really don't mind some romance on occasion, but this just wasn't for me.

message 18: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I have nothing against romance, but II do not want the entire book focused on romance, and the history better be right. Again, thank you Misfit. Everybody is sort of leaving GR and focusing on their own blogs..... What a shame! I liked that GR was a forum where we all met, so much easier than going around to tons of blogs. I had a blog once and it played such an important part in my life until I realized it had lost its magic. I had said what I wanted to say. Enough as enough. And then all the advertising, people trying to get me to advertise drove me crazy!!!!!!!!! That was like the final straw. Well good luck.

message 19: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Chrissie wrote: "I have nothing against romance, but II do not want the entire book focused on romance, and the history better be right. Again, thank you Misfit. Everybody is sort of leaving GR and focusing on thei..."

Oh don't worry, I'm not leaving GR at all.

message 20: by Chrissie (new) - added it