Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Her Last Breath

Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo

Aug 26, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: audio

This murder mystery series has a unique premise - it takes place in an Ohio Amish community called Painter's Mill. Our protagonist is Kate Berkholder, the town sheriff who was raised Amish but left the "plain life" once she became an adult. Kate is scrappy and a bit damaged, primarily because of an incident where she shot and killed a rapist in self-defense as a teenager. She also is involved with FBI agent John Tomasetti, who has as many demons as she has. In this installment (the fifth), a deadly hit and run accident occurs involving Kate's childhood friend Mattie, and Mattie's husband and three children. Kate soon suspects that this was not an accident, but a pre-meditated murder. In addition, Kate's past comes back to haunt her in a way that could end her career and maybe even her freedom.

This was a solid enough read, as all the others. I like Kate, although her personal issues cause her to be a bit self-destructive when it comes to her relationship with Tomasetti. This behavior in any book drives me nuts. But I THINK she is getting there - I sense progress. And for the most part, Kate's character carries the story. This is not mind-blowing stuff here, but she is spunky and it is fascinating to learn about the Amish life.

My one complaint that isn't going to go away though, is HOW ON EARTH CAN A SMALL AMISH TOWN HAVE SO MANY DEMENTED KILLERS ON THE LOOSE??? At this point it is ridiculous. Painter's Mill has a higher murder rate per capita than Chicago, for God's sake. Ms. Castillo, please, it is time to move on. Send her off on a job with Tomasetti, get her out of town for awhile. I'm thinking...have her lose her job so she has to take an alternative career path. I'd follow Kate to another job. Send her over to Shipshewana IN if she needs to stay in Amish country. Let her flush out some psychopaths over there.

They have kept the narrator, Kathleen McInerney, consistent throughout the audio series, and for the most part, she does a fine job. She does lower her voice and try to sound masculine when voicing Tomasetti, and it comes across as sounding like a breathy lounge lizard. Also, the female Amish characters all sound like they are five years old. But at this point, she has become the voice of Kate, and I'd hate to see it change.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Last Breath.

August 26, 2014 – Started Reading