Allyson's Reviews > The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet

The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet by Stephanie Morrill

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, christian, crushworthy-dudes, personal-library, re-read, young-adult, contemporary-christian-ya, favorite-series
Read 3 times. Last read June 24, 2019 to July 2, 2019.

Rating: 4.5 stars

After reading this novel for the third time, I'm finally sitting down to write a proper review! :D

Highlights:

Representation of a Writer's Life
Being a writer herself (obviously), Mrs. Morrill does an excellent job portraying the life of a teen writer. The more involved I get in the writing community, the more I relate to Ellie's personal writing experiences in this book. My only wish is that the writing side of her life was more heavily mentioned, as on this reread I was reading more for that aspect.

Ellie's Relatability
Ellie Sweet is a well-crafted main character that is easily relatable for teen girls who are interested in writing books, or girls who struggle with their self-esteem. Though I feel like I related more to Ellie the first and second times I read this book (both times in my early twenties), I still see a lot of my teenage self in her.

Portrayal of the Writing Community
I know this section is similar to the first section of this review, but it's different, trust me. XD
Now that I'm a published author (I wasn't during the first two reads of this book), I can attest that the portrayal of the writing community in this book is spot on. Young writers often have mentors that "outgrow" them so to speak, and new friends are always being made. Though I've never been to a writing conference, from what I've read about them via personal testimonies of others, the writing conference in this book is portrayed true to their normal fashion.

Lowlights:

The Love Triangle
During my first two reads of this book, I enjoyed the love triangle that forms between Ellie, popular boy Palmer, and bad boy Chase. Now that I'm a little older, I wasn't as interested in the day-to-day crush drama that Ellie faced with these two. Both of these boys were jerks at times, both pushing her aside to have flings with other girls. I felt like Ellie deserved better than that, though I also felt that it was a bit unrealistic for Palmer to suddenly have a crush on her as well. The backstory behind Chase's crush was believable, but upon this re-read I can't really see why Palmer would have a crush on Ellie. I ended up deducting a half-star from my former rating because of this aspect.

Overall, as I mentioned before, young writers who have a soft spot for love triangles will absolutely love this book. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet.

Quotes Allyson Liked

Stephanie Morrill
“You'll wake up one day and find you're almost forty, and you haven't done any of the things you wanted. That you let in so many voices when you were trying to make decisions, instead of listening to the One voice that mattered, that you never decided anything at all.”
Stephanie Morrill, The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet

August 25, 2014 – Shelved
December 26, 2015 – Started Reading
December 26, 2015 –
page 24
6.94% "Meh... not sure about this one yet."
December 26, 2015 –
page 50
14.45% "I'm rooting for Chellie so far!"
December 27, 2015 –
page 150
43.35% "This love triangle has me so confused."
December 28, 2015 –
page 254
73.41% "Both of her fake boyfriends have cheated on her. Poor Gabrielle! :("
December 29, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 18, 2017 – Started Reading
January 20, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 24, 2019 – Started Reading
June 24, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "Rereading for the third time so I can properly review it! ❤️"
June 24, 2019 –