Stephanie W's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

May 20, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, character-driven, latin-american
Read from May 20 to 27, 2010

There was something special about Oscar Wao. The writing style was coloquial and difficult at the beginning, but there was enough context to get past the Spanish slang.

I realize the style might not be for everyone, mainly because this is a character based book and not plot based. Nothing really happens, but you get a real sense for each of these characters and how perfectly real they are. More than that, you get a real sense about the personality of Yunior, the narrator, even though he is not a main presence in the story.

There was something special about the characters and the beautiful specificity of the story that really made it an amazing read. I feel I did not get as much out of it as I could have (I have never been to the Dominican Republic, or Puerto Rico, or Haiti or the Caribbean in general, or even fucking New Jersey) and therefore did not have any notion of the context of this book. Even so, it was so rich with detail, exceptionally written dialogue and believable characters that it really was an amazing read.

More than that, it's a book that crosses the boundaries and appeals to the 23-26 year old hipsters as well as other sects of society. I brought this book into a Mexican restaurant in the Mission District and my 35 year old waitress asked what I thought of the book. If a book can cross that many boundaries, it really says something that so many different individuals can pull something from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

05/21/2010 page 50