Nette's Reviews > Windfall

Windfall by Penny Vincenzi

May 20, 2010

liked it

I've just emerged from my annual bath in the sticky goodness of a 700-page Penny Vincenzi novel. The woman is a writing machine! Which, as usual, results in a lot of repetition and awkward sentences and ridiculous dialogue. For example, in the first 100 pages, four people are described as "turning gray" (two with exhaustion, one with fright, one with anger), which is an awful lot of gray people who aren't actually corpses. And there's a major plot problem: our heroine, the gorgeous, brilliant, and terribly virtuous Cassia, cheats on her husband with her lover, then cheats on her lover with an old flame, and we're supposed to cheer her on. Yeah, not so much. But really, none of this matters because once you start reading you can't stop until you finally finish the last page, gray with exhaustion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Windfall.

May 20, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 21, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Nadine (new)

Nadine LOL Your review made me giggle:) I've recently finished the trilogy by her and am in the middle of another PV book and am hungry for more, so looked at opinions of her other books... I suppose I'll leave "Windfall" till the end 'cause I don't want to turn gray with exhaustion just yet!

Salomé Golding "cheats on her husband with her lover, then cheats on her lover with an old flame..."
I think the cheating with the old flame took place before the cheating with the lover. So she actually cheated on her husband with the old flame. She and the lover hadn't gotten their infidelity together yet when she had a little trial run with the old flame. Well anyway, it certainly isn't a novel in which any of the characters are completely lovable.