Louise's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, adventure

The first half of this book, which introduced the protagonist, Gen, and supporting characters, was incredibly dull. I didn't particularly like Gen throughout most of this book. He was selfish, arrogant, whiney, and didn't seem pleasant to be around at all. Because of him, I wasn't sure if I was going to finish the book at all.

When I got to the temple part was when I was hooked. The temple reminded me of some brain teasing puzzles in video games. After the temple, everything started getting much more exciting and when the twist (which I had a hint of but didn't really expect after-all) I finally had an inkling of respect for Gen.

The Thief could almost be classified as historical fiction for young adults except for the whole deux ex machina part of the plot. I'm usually annoyed by stories where the main character gets divine intervention at just the right time to avoid some dilemma, but it kind of worked in here. Kind of. I did like the stories of the creation of the world according to their old religion even if it seemed very Mother-Earthish, but the more direct ways the gods interfered was a splinter in my side.

Reviews say that the next books in this series are much better, but I can't see the old gods and their meddling going away anytime soon in the story, so I'm probably going to skip them unless I run out of things to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

May 20, 2010 – Shelved
August 4, 2010 – Started Reading
August 4, 2010 –
page 20
7.14% "Exciting start but the main character is too cocky and annoying."
August 5, 2010 –
23.0% "main character is SO whiney. Does this ever get better? I want to stab Gen."
August 6, 2010 –
89.0% "The temple reminded me of some puzzle in a video game."
August 6, 2010 – Shelved as: fantasy