Karla's Reviews > Daisy Miller

Daisy Miller by Henry James

May 20, 2010

bookshelves: classic-lit, eras-victorian, the-ending-blows, 19th-century-lit, dead-tree
Read on November 15, 2011

I had no idea what to expect from this book and went into it only knowing that, if the style was dense and ornate like what I've heard about Henry James, at least it would be short. This story surprised me with its relative simplicity of style, a blessing so I could focus on the characters. I really liked Daisy, even though she is a chatterbox and quite annoying. She's a well-meaning ditz, but more than a little self-centered...although perfectly unconscious of it.

The ending sucked, though. That was a shock! But the bait and switch with her two male suitors was pretty clever, I thought.

Glad I finally read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daisy Miller.

message 1: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie I started listening to the audiobook, but stopped. Even tho it's less dense, it was still hard to follow. If I read James again it will be in book form so I can read slowly. Turn of the Screw was HORRIFIC in audio form.

Karla Yeah, I doubt I'd ever attempt listening to one of his books. The one read pretty easily. It was his first book, I guess. With practice came all the verbal diarrhea.

message 3: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac Yeah, he gets more & more wordy as the years progress. His novels are always slow, but from what I've read (which, granted, isn't a ton) he definitely worked to polish that opaque fog of description. Blergh. I usually enjoy his earlier work, but after a certain point he turned from thorough & deliberate to overstuffed & tedious.

Karla I wouldn't want to read anything more "ornate" than Daisy Miller. Going to attempt Turn of the Screw & Washington Square, but leave my James at that. I tried reading Portrait of a Lady and didn't get past the 1st page.

Karla It's super short, easy to read in one sitting.

Jemidar Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "It's super short, easy to read in one sitting."

And that's the very reason I'm considering rereading it soon--to boost my stats :-).

Karla It's a failproof strategery! ;D

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose Aliza I definitely would have preferred an ending where Daisy was still alive!