Tatiana's Reviews > Dead Reckoning

May 20, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, 2011
Recommended for: forget it

I am willing to bet that this book was as much of a torture for Charlaine Harris to write as it was for me to read.

There is no juice left in this series. And certainly, there is no author's love. Not only is Sookie's voice no longer recognizable (I just reread books 1-3, so I can in fact tell the difference), but this whole book is simply one huge FAIL.

The characters were altered. Where was cool Pam? Where was sarcastic Eric? Where was chemistry between Sookie and Eric? Where were the human characters? Where was Jason?

Why was this story so convoluted? Why was the blood bond so easy to sever? Why did Alcide show up? Why was Amelia such a ditz? Why were Lily Bard and Jack in the book? Why did Bill come over to ramble about his love life? Why did so many threads from the past suddenly surface? Why was that "package" hidden in the attic? What was the deal with the fairies? What was Hunter doing in this book? Ice pack? Why? What? Where? How? WTF?

There is no fluidity in Dead Reckoning. It is a bunch of events and occurrences smacked together into an uninspired, convoluted, dumb mess.

I am not reading any more of this. With the appearance of a huge deus ex machina (code name c.d.) in this book, I won't be surprised if someone will find a magic wand in the next installment. In any case, I already know how this all will end. If you don't, here:

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Reckoning.

May 20, 2010 – Shelved
May 18, 2011 – Started Reading
May 18, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
May 18, 2011 –
page 45
13.85% "Why are Eric and Pam acting so strangely?"
May 20, 2011 –
page 80
May 20, 2011 –
page 100
30.77% "Very hard to stick with:("
May 21, 2011 –
page 142
43.69% "Why is it such a torture?!"
May 21, 2011 –
page 218
67.08% "Amelia? Ice Pack? Alcide? WTF?"
May 21, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
May 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May let me know if this is any good, I actually want someone to convince me I made the wrong decision dropping the Sookie series :)

Tatiana You dropped it?! I invested too much time in it to drop it now. But I'll let you know, when I read it.

message 3: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "You dropped it?! I invested too much time in it to drop it now. But I'll let you know, when I read it."

I know... I sort of feel the same, but I just couldn't get into the last book at all, Dead and Gone wasn't great either. I don't know about you but I think Harris should conclude the series sometime soon.

Tatiana I heard she has contract for 13 and that's it. It could have ended at 10 IMO.

Kat Kennedy It definitely should stop at 10 if Sookie doesn't end up with Eric! But yeah, I'm not in any rush to read this one.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this. Just keep away from guns/poison/knives, especially when Alcide shows up. ;)

Tatiana What is Alcide back for? I thought he was old news. Oh well, we shall see.

I started reading it and I have absolutely no memory of the events in the previous books:(

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, don't worry, Harris will remind you soon enough. She repeats everything.

You know Alcide had to show up at least once. I really don't like him, especially after this book. Keep updating your status if you can, it should be really interesting. :D

Dominika Yeah, I hate those repetitions!!!! argh. I know she wants the books to work also as stand-alone novels, but that just annoys the crap out of me.

Penny it'll all come back to you Tatiana. I totally forgot most of what happened in book 10, and it didn't end up mattering because Sookie rehashes a lot of it.

Catie I just got this from the library so I might join you.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You can't write a series of 11 books and expect them to work as stand-alones too. Two or three maybe, but not eleven.

Tatiana Some recapping is very welcome right now, as long as she doesn't go into describing Sookie's "disability" for the millionth time. I think by book 11 we all know what her deal is.

Penny Oh, yeah, I don't think she talks about her "disability" unless you count the times she talks about it when it relates to the plot. Like when she's with her cousins little boy, whatshisface. Or when she's discovering more about why she has her mind reading ability. So yeah, not a ton of explaining that she's a social pariah because of her mind reading ability. Thank goodness.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) We get a detailed grocery list, though. :D

Penny Yeah, we do get the same old pointless details about tanning and running errands, unfortunately. She does ramble on. But for whatever reason it is mostly forgivable.

One thing that gets me is that she mentions songs like Shakira's Hips Don't Lie and Gnarls Barkley's Crazy. Both were popular like four years ago. So yeah. Wish someone would school Charlaine Harris in what music is cool today. Or maybe Charlaine shouldn't include any song titles, amirite?

message 17: by rameau (new) - added it

rameau Maybe I should read this one just to rant about it. That's what I did with the previous book.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Everybody's acting strangely this time. Except maybe Bill, he's still acting like my grandfather. :D

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa One star? Oh no, that's bad. I'm looking forward to the review.

message 20: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May I'm guessing that I probably shouldn't read this :)

message 21: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Uh oh 1 star??? Wow I have no words for this =(

message 22: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May It's sad but not that surprising, they've been going slowly downhill throughout the last couple of books in my opinion.

Tatiana It sucks!

message 24: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya I didn't understand the spoiler! :(

Tatiana Oops, the first image went away:(

Desperado Whoever decided that bloody tears were sexy needs to get smacked upside the head. Great review, Tatiana. Unfortunately, I concur with the ending of this series. That's Harris for you: build us up just to let us down then punches us in the boobs.

message 27: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya Am I the only person in the world who likes Sam? *sigh*

Tatiana I like Sam ok, but I like Eric more, Eric I used to know. Now I just don't care about any of them:(

Desperado Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Well, judging from the television series at least, I didn't think any of Sookie's love interest options were that great. :/ (Sorry, Eric fans!)"

I liked Old Eric & Quinn, but to be honest, I'd prefer Sooks to be with anyone but Bill, I don't really care who. Hell, she could end up alone at the end of this series & I'd be happy as long as she doesn't go back to that sheep fucker.

message 30: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May Maybe things would be different if I hadn't started watching True Blood before I read the books. Sam is one hell of a wuss in the tv series, Bill's a douche, and Alexander Skarsgard completely rings my bell :)

That's why I have no time for any of Sookie's potential lovers but Eric and why I will be leaving it at the point where Sookie and him were all happy and sexed up.

message 31: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne Series that go on this long never end well. I lost interest around Book 7 :/

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Well, this is disappointing. I have to admit I'm having a hard time getting into book 9 which I'm supposed to be reading.

I agree that Sam's okay (at least he's not Bill) but she belongs (or should it be past tense) with Eric. He was a great character. At least we still have True Blood Eric and the hotness that is Alexander Skarsgård. :)

Tatiana Lisa, I think this series goes significantly downhill from about book 8. I still was able to enjoy 8-10 to some degree, but this book is just plain atrocious IMO.

message 34: by Sue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue Tint Ugh,, I had a feeling this one would suck. I hated the last one, which is such a shame because I was a huge fan early on.

message 35: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Great review! Disappointing though... I was considering rereading the Sookie series up through the latest book, but I might reconsider that now and just remember the characters in a good way. lol

Catie Hahaha, oh god, the ice pack!! I had to re-read that part several times, thinking, "Is she saying what I think she's saying?..." That was super weird.

message 37: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio Perfect spoiler. In this case, 3 pictures are worth more than a thousand pages. And yes, I remember reading Charlaine's forum just after book 8 and, from what she said, it was pretty obvious that she wanted to turn the series in that direction. I thought she would manage it with more subtlety, though.

Regina Catie wrote: "Hahaha, oh god, the ice pack!! I had to re-read that part several times, thinking, "Is she saying what I think she's saying?..." That was super weird."

And not romantic. Yes, I had to read it several times and didn't understand it. I was super pissed to read the crossover with Lily Bard because I am only so far in the Lily series and she hasn't gotten married yet, so now I am spoiled for that series.

One of my biggest pet peeves in a series -- both tv and book -- is when the author/creator doesn't have a story arc and additionally, when the author violates their own rules and changes character personalities just to manipulate the outcome. Here, Harris has a problem. She had created so many viable male characters for Sookie to end up with. So instead of creating a compelling romance that would be believable, she changed the characters of several characters and put up stupid road blocks -- in this book (view spoiler)

Harris should have let the series go.

Rubal Amazing review,You said everything that I felt was wrong with this book

Megan Loved the spoiler! Whoever invented the blood tears, do they not understand that tears flowing from your eyes are the exact same tears that lubricate your eyes? Really? It's not like there is a special tear duct for when your eyes need to overflow.

Or maybe with vamps there is :/

Dominika Good, stupid me, I didn't even notice that it was Lilly and Jack. How lame am I.

And I still have a problem with the ice-pack... That's not for what I thin it's for, right? +_+

message 42: by Tatiana (last edited May 22, 2011 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tatiana You can always tell with Harris when she is fed up with a series. I've read her Harper Connelly series as well and she did not want to write that last 4th book. It was as contrived and sloppy as Dead Reckoning.

The Alcide "show" was by far the most ridiculous part of this book.

Regina I agree about the 4th Harper book. It was mediocre at best, a waste of time. And did you notice she recycled mystery clues?

Tatiana What mystery clues? Was there a mystery in this book?

Kat Kennedy I'm so glad you read this book so that I didn't have to! I can't believe she ruined Eric's character! I used to love this series and now... damn, this is just so disappointing.

Regina Sorry I wasn't clear - Tatiana I meant on the 4th Harper. In one of the first books she solved the crime with basic high school genetics. Harper figured out that certain people weren't actually related. Harris recycled this idea and reused it in the fourth Harper book. I had many problems with the fourth Harper book, but recycling mystery clues and the method of solving a mystery is a pretty sloppy technique in a kind of mystery series - especially when there are only 4 book.

Tatiana Kat wrote: "I'm so glad you read this book so that I didn't have to! I can't believe she ruined Eric's character! I used to love this series and now... damn, this is just so disappointing."

I hear you, Kat. I was sure I would stick with it until the very end, even thought the books were getting worse and worse, but now... I enjoyed none of Dead Reckoning:(

Tatiana Regina wrote: "Sorry I wasn't clear - Tatiana I meant on the 4th Harper. In one of the first books she solved the crime with basic high school genetics. Harper figured out that certain people weren't actually re..."

Oh, I see. I don't quite remember all the details of that finale, but I remember how conveniently everything came together, especially in regards to Harper's sister.

Dominika I just watched some fanmade video for season 4 true blood with Eric and Sookie kissing... and then I thought about Dead Reckoning. And then I felt grief :(

Catie Ugh. Just finished it this morning. I think that I might be done.

« previous 1