Joel Wentz's Reviews > God at War: The Bible & Spiritual Conflict

God at War by Gregory A. Boyd

Giving this 5 stars does not mean I agree with every of Boyd's assertions. It simply means that I absolutely loved reading this book, and that I think it's an important work. Boyd writes with a clarity that is clearly fueled by passion, and he prophetically speaks out against the ways he has seen the Evangelical/Reformed tradition deal with the problem of evil in the world, completely screening out the profound spiritual language in the Old and New Testaments. Though I may not end up on the same page with Boyd on some of the details, reading this book certainly opened my eyes to the constant presence of spiritual warfare language in the Bible, as well as the reality that the writers of scripture seemed to take for granted that evil, autonomous, spiritual agents exist in the world, and they will impact our lives. The most paradigm-challenging, and exciting, idea in the book is that we should EXPECT bad things to happen to good people (not the other way around) if Satan, God's enemy, truly does exist! We must stop figuring out ways to rationalize, or explain away, these bad things, somehow attributing them to the mysterious will of a good God. This is a hard pill for a good, modern, Western person to swallow, but to take the whole of scripture seriously, we need to figure out a way to swallow it! I'm anxious to read Boyd's second volume in this series, where it seems as if he will flesh out the "problem of evil" to a greater degree. Overall, I highly recommend this to any Christian, though be prepared to be uncomfortable with some of Boyd's arguments - in a good way!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God at War.

Finished Reading