AmandaEmma's Reviews > The Memory Keepers

The Memory Keepers by Natasha Ngan

6520732

bookshelves: for-review, sci-fi, dystopia, favorites, 2014, reviewed

This was my first Natasha Ngan book and I have to say, I have a feeling she's going to be one of those authors where you just buy her books without knowing anything about them.

Need to know:
- The memories aren't erased, they're basically just 'recorded', and you can actually trade them.
- The book takes place in 2144
- We are dealing with a bunch of characters in this book; We have our two main characters Alba and Seven. Seven's friends Loe and a little girl called Mika. Alba's handmaid Dolly and Alba's parents; Alastair and Oxana White.

My Thoughts:
I think the world building and plot was absolutely fantastic. When I started reading this I had no idea it was set this far in the future, but I quite liked it anyway. I love the concept of memory-surfing, where you basically experience the memory again - you feel everything and hear everything that was originally recorded, it's not exactly the same as just thinking back. I was also quite intrigued by the whole memory-thieving and selling the memory's illegally, everything was just so imaginative and mind-blowing.
I think Natasha has an amazing imagination and I can't wait to read her next book.

Throughout the entire book I felt sorry for both Alba and Seven, they have both had quite a rough time growing up and I really sympathized with them. Alba, the Norther who is deeply neglected by her parents and only has her handmaid Dolly. Seven, the Souther who has lost his parents and doesn't really have anyone besides Loe and Mika. I really enjoyed getting to know both of them and watch the two of them evolve and begin to get out of their comfort zones and let love take hold of them.
I immediately loved the relationship between Alba and Dolly, I love that they have this special bond and how they treat and take care of each other. Their relationship was probably one of my favorite parts of the whole book.

I really enjoyed the whole story, I liked how we were introduced to the characters and we learned everything about 'memories' so naturally and gradually instead of learning everything at once and not remembering anything. I think this story is one of the best I've read this year so far, and I've read a lot. This story has everything, it has wonderful world building and lovely characters. There's love, hate, family - all with and edge of the futuristic.

I could not, for the life of me, put this book down. If I had had the time I would probably have devoured the whole book in a single sitting - that's how good this book is. In a way I'm sad that this book has ended, we don't get to see more of Alba and Seven, but on the other hand everything was wrapped up so nicely that it would almost be a sin to continue the story.

If you hadn't guessed it already, I absolutely loved this book and devoured it quite quickly. I enjoyed both the characters, the plot, the world and the story. Natasha Ngan has touched my very soul and I felt like her heart is all over those pages. I definitely recommend this book to everyone who likes 'different' books and like the futuristic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keepers.

August 24, 2014 – Started Reading
August 24, 2014 – Shelved
August 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 24, 2014 – Shelved as: for-review
August 24, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi
August 26, 2014 –
page 124
30.24% "Really enjoying this so far. The concept of Memory-surfing is quite intriguing and I even feel sorry for Seven and Alba.."
August 27, 2014 –
page 276
67.32% "Why is sleep a thing? :/"
August 27, 2014 – Shelved as: dystopia