Grace's Reviews > Franny and Zooey

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

May 20, 2010

bookshelves: favorites

This book is amazing, utterly totally lugubriously fantastical and I love it! I felt like I was franny, zooey, buddy and even ms glass, and so was my best friend, and so was the rest of the universe, and I looved franny and understood her but then zooey came and said exactly what I thought but hadn't been able to think/say clearly about her chant thing, and then the ending was ohmygosh (not in a cheap way, not at all, just gorgeous) and everyone was so real and made so much sense and I'm just gushing again, this book is fantastic!
I don't think I can say anything eloquent about it, just that I-
love
love
love!
Franny&Zooey

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franny and Zooey.

Quotes Grace Liked

J.D. Salinger
“[...] don't you know who that Fat Lady really is? ... Ah, buddy. Ah, buddy. It's Christ Himself. Christ Himself, buddy.”

J.D. Salinger
“I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.”

J.D. Salinger
“If you can't, or won't, think of Seymour, then you go right ahead and call in some ignorant psychoanalyst. You just do that. You just call in some analyst who's experienced in adjusting people to the joys of television, and Life magazine every Wednesday, and European travel, and the H-bomb, and Presidential elections, and the front page of the Times, and God knows what else that's gloriously normal.”

J.D. Salinger
“For a psychoanalyst to be any good... he'd have to believe that it was through the grace of God that he'd been inspired to study psychoanalysis in the first place.”

J.D. Salinger
“An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else's.”
tags: art

J.D. Salinger
“It's everybody, I mean. Everything everybody does is so — I don't know — not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid necessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless and — sad-making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're conforming just as much only in a different way.”
tags: life

J.D. Salinger
“I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.”

J.D. Salinger
“My god, there's absolutely nothing tenth-rate about you, and yet you're up to your neck at this minute in tenth-rate thinking.”

J.D. Salinger
“Your heart, Bessie, is an autumn garage.”

J.D. Salinger
“I just never felt so fantastically rocky in my entire life.”

J.D. Salinger
“I’m just sick of ego, ego, ego. My own and everybody else’s. I’m sick of everybody that wants to get somewhere, do something distinguished and all, be somebody interesting. It’s disgusting.”

J.D. Salinger
“Give me an honest con man any day.”

J.D. Salinger
“Don't you think I have sense enough to worry about my motives for saying the prayer? That's exactly what's bothering me so. Just because I'm choosy about what I want - in this case, enlightenment or peace, instead or money or prestige or game or any of those things, doesn't mean I'm not as egotistical and self-seeking as everybody else. If anything, I'm more so!”

J.D. Salinger
“If you're going to say the Jesus Prayer, at least say it to Jesus, and not to St. Francis and Seymour and Heidi's grandfather all wrapped up in one.”

J.D. Salinger
“The cards are stacked (quite properly, I imagine) against all professional aesthetes, and no doubt we all deserve the dark, wordy, academic deaths we all sooner or later die.”

J.D. Salinger
“And the old horror of being a professional writer, and the usual stench of words that goes with it, is begining to drive me out of my seat. (Buddy)”

J.D. Salinger
“I love you to pieces, distraction, etc.”

J.D. Salinger
“Franny was staring at the little blotch of sunshine with a special intensity, as if she were considering lying down in it.”

J.D. Salinger
“The Great Gatsby' [...] was my 'Tom Sawyer' when I was twelve [....]”

J.D. Salinger
“You're lucky if you get time to sneeze in this goddam phenomenal world.”

J.D. Salinger
“She was not one for emptying her face of expression. ”

J.D. Salinger
“I didn't want any degrees if all the ill-read literates and radio announcers and pedagogical dummies I knew had them by the peck. ”

J.D. Salinger
“And I can't be running back and fourth forever between grief and high delight.”

J.D. Salinger
“But I was afraid of the questions (much more than the accusations) you might both put to me. ”

J.D. Salinger
“I don’t think it would have all got me quite so down if just once in a while—just once in a while—there was at least some polite little perfunctory implication that knowledge should lead to wisdom, and that if it doesn't, it's just a disgusting waste of time! But there never is! You never even hear any hints dropped on a campus that wisdom is supposed to be the goal of knowledge. You hardly ever even hear the word 'wisdom' mentioned!”

J.D. Salinger
“I'm not afraid to compete. It's just the opposite. Don't you see that? I'm afraid I will compete — that's what scares me. That's why I quit the Theatre Department. Just because I'm so horribly conditioned to accept everybody else's values, and just because I like applause and people to rave about me, doesn't make it right. I'm ashamed of it. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody. I'm sick of myself and everybody else that wants to make some kind of a splash.”

J.D. Salinger
“There isn't anyone out there who isn't Seymour's Fat Lady.”

J.D. Salinger
“I don't know what good it is to know so much and be smart as whips and all if it doesn't make you happy.”

J.D. Salinger
“Nobody who's really using his ego, his real ego, has any time for any goddam hobbies”

J.D. Salinger
“In the first place, you’re way off when you start railing at things and people instead of at yourself. ”

J.D. Salinger
“I would like you to clear up for me just what the hell your motives are for saying it.' He hesitated, but not long enough to give Franny a chance to cut in on him. 'As a matter of simple logic, there's no difference at all, that I can see, between the man who's greedy for material treasure—or even intellectual treasure—and the man who's greedy for spiritual treasure. As you say, treasure's treasure, God damn it, and it seems to me that ninety per cent of all the world-hating saints in history were just as acquisitive and unattractive, basically, as the rest of us are.”

J.D. Salinger
“You don't know how to talk to people you don't like. Don't love, really. You can't live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes.”
tags: self

J.D. Salinger
“We are, all four of us, blood relatives, and we speak a kind of esoteric, family language, a sort of semantic geometry in which the shortest distance between any two points is a fullish circle.”

J.D. Salinger
“The room was not impressively large, even by Manhattan apartment-house standards, but its accumulated furnishings might have lent a snug appearance to a banquet hall in Valhalla.”

J.D. Salinger
“Oh, it's lovely to see you!' Franny said as the cab moved off. 'I've missed you.' The words were no sooner out than she realized that she didn't mean them at all.”

J.D. Salinger
“You’d better get busy, though, buddy. The goddamn sands run out on you every time you turn around. I know what I’m talking about. You’re lucky if you get time to sneeze in this goddamn phenomenal world. {...} I used to worry about that. I don’t worry about it very much any more. At least I’m still in love with Yorick’s skull. At least I always have time enough to stay in love with Yorick’s skull. I want an honorable goddamn skull when I’m dead, buddy. I hanker after an honorable goddamn skull like Yorick’s.”

J.D. Salinger
“The little girl on the plane
Who turned her doll's head around
To look at me.”

J.D. Salinger
“I'll tell you a terrible secret — Are you listening to me? There isn't anyone out there who isn't Seymour's Fat Lady.”

J.D. Salinger
“He said he was - this is exactly what he said - he said he was sitting at the table in the kitchen, all by himself, drinking a glass of ginger ale and eating saltines and reading 'Dombey and Son', and all of a sudden Jesus sat down in the other chair and asked if he could have a small glass of ginger ale. A small glass, mind you - that's exactly what he said. I mean he says things like that, and yet he thinks he's perfectly qualified to give me a lot of advice and stuff! I could just spit! I could! It's like being in a lunatic asylum and having another patient all dressed up as a doctor come over to you and start taking your pulse or something…”

J.D. Salinger
“The rest, with very little exaggeration, was books. Meant-to-be-picked-up books. Permanently-left-behind books. Uncertain-what-to-do-with books. But books, books. Tall cases lined three walls of the room, filled to and beyond capacity. The overflow had been piled in stacks on the floor. There was little space left for walking, and none whatever for pacing.”

J.D. Salinger
“Listen, I don't care what you say about my race, creed, or religion, Fatty, but don't tell me I'm not sensitive to beauty. That's my Achilles' heel, and don't you forget it. To me, everything is beautiful. Show me a pink sunset, and I'm limp, by God. Anything. Peter Pan. Even before the curtain goes up at Peter Pan I'm a goddamn puddle of tears.”

J.D. Salinger
“You can't exist in this world with such strong likes and dislikes.”

May 20, 2010 – Shelved
August 30, 2010 – Started Reading
August 30, 2010 –
page 43
21.39% "oh my gosh this book is utterly totally amazing completely utterly and I'm just gushing because in bits it feels like I'm reading my best friends thoughts and in others it's like I'm reading my own and then sometimes they cross over and this is an AMAZING book! :)"
August 31, 2010 – Finished Reading