Jodie's Reviews > Maybe Someday

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

liked it
bookshelves: genre-chick-lit, genre-na, genre-contemporary, genre-romance

See more reviews at Words Read & Written

Why I picked it up:

This book has some amazing reviews on GoodReads.

What I didn’t like about it:

To be fair… I feel like my review is bias because I read this book straight after Archer’s Voice and they tackle similar subject matter. The love interest in this and the love interest in Archer’s Voice both have the same disability, and quite frankly, Archer’s Voice did it better. Reading this book felt a little “been there done that” so I suppose I’m not the most objective person to give this book a review.

My main drama with this book was the writing style. I felt like it wasn’t emotive enough. Sydney and Ridge communicated via text message and it took a little getting used to. There were heaps of “info dumps” via text message, especially in the second half and I found myself skimming over them.

This book also covered my most hated topic – emotional cheating and cheating in general. I don’t have a lot of time or patience for indecisive characters and this book was full of them.

What I liked about it:

Once it hit its stride, this book actually worked pretty well. For 285-page novel, I flew through the first half pretty quickly.

I liked the cast of characters - they were well developed and interesting. I also enjoyed the progression of the plot because I love a doomed romance. By page 197 I was literally convinced that the romance was never going to work. It isn’t often that an author achieves that. Usually you know without a doubt that the romance will work out if the characters just got over themselves, but with this one, I literally couldn’t see the characters overcoming the obstacle, which was awesome.

My Verdict: 2.5-3 stars.

It was enjoyable but nothing to write home about. Archer’s Voice did it better. Archer’s Voice was a NA story that felt adult. This is a NA story that feels YA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe Someday.

August 23, 2014 – Shelved