tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Lost Coast

Lost Coast by Pat Reed

bookshelves: poetry

Oh, well.. In a way, I'd like to always be able to say something positive about anything that I'm reviewing.. & in another way that seems too glib.. or something.. The Brenda Iijima simple line drawing on the cover shows the skeleton of an elk or a moose or some related animal. I pick elk b/c elk is also mentioned in the text.

The poem itself is also skeletal, a single poem w/ few words - I read the whole thing in a few minutes. It seems to be basically sketches from a nature outing - framed by more human references: a "hot highway" near the beginning & a "wooden bridge", a "bottle of beer" & the "hot highway" again near the end. The location seems to be at ocean's edge - where seals & elk come in close proximity.

I liked this bk ok.. but in the end, I admit to not really caring. The poem is too simple for me w/o having the essence that simplicity can sometimes provide. I generally prefer more complex, more intellectual works - w/ strong motivating concepts.

Reading it, though, makes me wonder whether my recent ex-girlfriend wd've gotten some pleasure from it. She doesn't read much & basically doesn't read poetry BUT she thrives on nature & bird-watching & the like. If this were to resonate w/ her, it wd take on a whole new level of meaning for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Coast.

May 19, 2010 – Started Reading