Melinda's Reviews > Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History

Long Hidden by Rose Fox

bookshelves: inclusive-scifi-fantasy, queer-poc, scifi-fantasy

Excellent Anthology! I loved The Ogres of East Africa by Sofia Samatar, Collected Likenesses by Jamey Hatley, Nine by Kima Jones, A Deeper Echo by David Jon Fuller, Jooni by Kemba Banton and Find Me Unafraid by Shanae Brown. The stories that I liked were awesome because they dug deep into issues of history, resistance, and the repercussions of actions of the past on our futures.

These collection consists of stories of historical trauma using speculative fiction tools to fight back or to highlight the confusion and conflict of the experiences of oppression. I appreciated the exploration of historical memory and the impact of the past on future generations. I truly valued the stories that addressed people's emotional struggle to move past traumas and acknowledge that the trauma is part of them but it is not all that they are.

There were also a few stories that I absolutely disliked because I thought that they were sexist and I don't connect with sexism in books. I think that it was even harder for me to connect with the sexist stories because I wasn't expecting them. I bought this book at WisCon which is a feminist speculative fiction convention.

I also want to acknowledge that some of the stories seem to force the speculative fiction elements into them which sometimes took me out of the story. Also I would have loved for most of the stories in the collection to be longer. More time to go even deeper and give more character background to support the stories more. It would have been great if it could have been two volumes. I do understand the limitations of funding longer writing projects, so I'm definitely not as critical of the length as some of my reading group members.

Overall the collection is beautiful and I highly recommend reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Hidden.

August 23, 2014 – Started Reading