Crista's Reviews > One Night of Sin

3194546
May 19, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star, historical, series

I have been committed to the Knight Miscellany and have eagerly been awaiting Lord Alec's story. What a major let down. I almost quit reading it midway. The story did improve somewhat so I'm glad that I finished it, but I really can not recommend it. I would only read it if you're like me, and have a need to see a series through.

Here's what worked...There were a few scenes as Alec is coming to terms with the things he's done and the mistakes he's made that were good. I really bought into the idea that Alec wants to be different and "reform".

Here's what didn't work....I absolutely did not buy into the romance between these two. Becky wasn't the type of woman that I had imagined for Alec. The love scenes were somewhat offensive in language and detail. I'm all for intensity, but the graphic nature was unnecessary. I didn't like the plot with Becky's uncle as the villain, and the idea that Alec gambled, an addiction that nearly killed him, to win back Becky's home was distasteful to me. He also attributed his ability to gamble "healthy" to the love of a good woman...romantic, but not realistic. I didn't like the pet names they used for each other and how Alec turned into a "softy". A rake can reform without completely changing character which Alec did. Overall, I have loved and hated this man throughout this series and was hoping that his book would be my favorite....unfortunately the opposite is true..this is the one I like the least.

Only one more to go...I'm hoping that Jacks story is more like The Duke, Lord of Fire, and Devil Takes a Bride and less like Lord of Ice, Lady of Desire, and One Night of Sin. So far I've liked 3 and disliked 3, and I would like to close out this series with more on the "Liked" side than on the "Disliked" side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Night of Sin.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Sanders I would agree about the gambling addiction. The love of anyone does not cure that kind of problem.
Him gambling to win her home back makes for a plot turn, but isn't realistic.

I do prefer when a story is believable, and you don't have the sinking feeling that his reformation wont stick.