Li's Reviews > Lady John

Lady John by Madeleine E. Robins

liked it
bookshelves: historical, read-in-2013, romance

This was written back in 1982 and it shows in the sense it avoids the modern romance conventions - for instance, the hero doesn’t appear on the page until quite a bit into the book, IIRC. I liked it, but it’s not your usual romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady John.

Started Reading
December 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 23, 2014 – Shelved
August 23, 2014 – Shelved as: historical
August 23, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
August 23, 2014 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) I liked the Sarah Tolerance books by this author.

message 2: by Li (new) - rated it 3 stars

Li I read and liked the first, but couldn't get the next ones in e-format, IIRC. Thanks for reminding me - will have to see if they're available now!

Laura (Kyahgirl) yeah, I had to get them from the library.

message 4: by Li (new) - rated it 3 stars

Li Just checked and they are out in ebook now - a bit more expensive than I care for at the mo, but have added to my watch list!

message 5: by Estara (new)

Estara Another awesome woman who was at Loncon. she is writing more in the Sarah Tolerance series.

Laura (Kyahgirl) Estara, I am thrilled to hear this news. Its also nice to see you :-)

message 7: by Estara (new)

Estara ^^ You mean here on Goodreads? I don't think I saw you at Loncon, or did I just not know? Yes, the fourth Sarah Tolerance is almost done, she said and she has ideas for a fifth and the small publisher who did the third book is interested in the fourth one. She also read from an intriguing Victorian fae steampunky possible YA bit, which she has a cool beginning for (that was the bit she read) but nothing else yet. I hope there'll be more soon.

Unfortunately she is currently unemployed but she said it might mean more writing time.

Laura (Kyahgirl) I wish I could have been at Loncon but alas, It was only here in cyberspace that I could see you

message 9: by Li (new) - rated it 3 stars

Li Good to hear there's more to come! "Victorian fae steampunky possible YA" also sounds fascinating...

message 10: by Estara (new)

Estara Laura (Kyahgirl) wrote: "I wish I could have been at Loncon but alas, It was only here in cyberspace that I could see you "

Yes, my comments the last two weeks were rather shorter than usual as Yogapad = nice, but one-finger/pen typing = sucks.

At home I have the keyboard so yay! I didn't investigate a full size keyboard via usb, maybe I should have checked if there was one... the Yogapad has bluetooth as well, not just wifi, so that might have been possible. Oh well.

I mostly commented on Loncon posts, heh. I did get around to reading new stuff, though. I wonder when I finally manage to start reviewing for real again *sigh*. I AM planning to doing a post when I've uploaded my Loncon pictures (and my London pictures as well) - of course Li and Andrea I didn't take a photo of *facepalm*

message 11: by Estara (new)

Estara Li wrote: "Good to hear there's more to come! "Victorian fae steampunky possible YA" also sounds fascinating..."

What I heard during her reading really was. I absolutely was struck. She also simply READS very engagingly.