Lola 's Reviews > The Merciless

The Merciless by Danielle Vega

it was ok
bookshelves: death, meh, fast-paced, religion, paranormal, secrets, creepy, cliffhanger
Recommended to Lola by: Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!

Okay…

Well that was weird…

And what’s with that ending…?

Sofia…

description

I just realized that this is actually a series. Good thing I guess because that cliffhanger might have just killed me. I mean, finishing a story that way? Even though I didn’t actually enjoy reading this book, I HAVE to know what happens. So WILL read the sequel.

It starts pretty contemporary-like with Sofia, new student in high school, meeting new people, both popular and unpopular ones-doesn’t matter for her. We don’t know much about the main character, so I didn’t get why they all wanted to be friends with her. Exactly like the movie Mean Girls. I guess some thought she was...interesting? But, well, I didn’t.

I can understand that this book is shelved as ''horror'' but I thought it was more disgusting than scary. Riley (most popular girl in school) wants to do an exorcism on Brooklyn (which she accuses from stealing her boyfriend) and it takes so so long. Basically, that’s the whole plot (since it did take more than 60% of the book); the tentative to practice an exorcism on Brooklyn and discovering every character’s sin. Of course, there are consequences to that and that's when it gets bloody.

Questions unanswered :

1) How did Brooklyn escape from that bathroom when she was very hurt?

2) Why is Riley having an obsessing with nails? Creepy creepy obsession.

3) Is Sofia in love with Charlie and the other way around?

4) If yes, why ? They just met!

5) Why don’t we have a background on Riley and Brooklyn’s stories-lives? I don’t know anything about them, except that Riley is jealous, religious-very-and that Brooklyn likes tattoos, piercings and not following the rules.

The story is not whole bad. The pacing is fast, so it did capture my interest for a good time. I was curious to know if something really horrible and scary was going to happen but there wasn’t, except for some raw and just disgusting things. Like crucifying someone with nails.

Told you, nail obsession.

What I really really didn’t like was the author making me love some characters than making me hate them and love them again. I didn’t even know what to think about them anymore. Were they all bad? Did I hate them because of what they did, each one of them? Could it be that I have pity for Riley or her two other friends? I was pretty much conflicted.

The writing is good so that wasn’t a problem at all. Along with the pacing and curiosity to know what was going to happen next (even though I did get tired of the plot) brought me to the conclusion that this is an ''okay'' story.

I don't actually recommend it wholeheartedly, but I won't suggest you to stay as away as you can from this book either. Maybe some of you will like the creepy (but not scary) and disgusting elements. And let's not forget the twist. Maybe you'll love that wicked twist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Merciless.

August 22, 2014 – Shelved
August 23, 2014 – Started Reading
August 23, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)

Rachel Reads Ravenously Great review Lola! Sorry it didn't work out :(((

Lola Thanks Rachel! :) It's okay. xx

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine OK, on a scale of scariness, how scary is this book? Is it completely not scary or pee your pants scary? And I HATE it when a books leaves so many questions unanswered!!

Lola On 1 to 10? I would say...like a 3 or 4. Maybe you'll find the creepy things actually scary. :P Not pee your pants scary AT ALL. LOL
Me too, Katy, me too...

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Good, cause I'm a big chicken. I haven't had the courage to read a Stephen King novel precisely because of that, LOL!!

Lola I haven't read a SK either!! And I thought I was a chicken too!! ...but it's been 2 'horror' books that I read and...nothing. xd

message 7: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini Sorry it didn't work out that well for you, Lola. :( Personally, I am a scaredy cat as well so I run away from the horror genre. And same pinch on the SK part. I'm extremely afraid to try one of his books. :( :(

Lola Well it wasn't scary...at least not for me. :P Same thing for SK but I will read his books one day ;) Thanks Shin!

message 9: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini So shall I! (Just a non-horror one.) :P

And since you'll be reading the sequel to this one, I hope you like it better. :)

Lola Thank you! :)
I don't like watching horror movies though. :P

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I TOLD YOU!!!!

Lola Look at who's happy ;)
You were right!

message 13: by Exina (new)

Exina Horror is not my genre either. I freaked out only by reading your review... Great, honest review, Lola!

Lola Haaa, did the exorcism thing freak you out?? Because it was boring! XD Thanks, love.
hahaha, I love that gif!!!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Yeah . . . not for me, LOL. I can handle creepy, but when it crosses that line into GROSS MAN . . . NOPE. Great review, dollface!

message 16: by Exina (new)

Exina Nope, it was the nail obsession... But honestly, I'm not fond of exorcism either. I'm sure it's not my type of book... :D

message 17: by Andreea (new)

Andreea Pop This sounds creepy, but not sure if good creepy. Hmmm...

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Great honest review Lola! Not for me!!!

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts! HA. I knew you wouldn't like it. So why did I recommended it??? Sorry to torture you, Lola. Hahaha! I think my PLL addiction surfaced while I was reading the book so I quite liked it.

Totally with you about the nail thing. Disgustingly gross! Haha. Now I'm having second thoughts if I'm going to read the sequel

Lola Jessica (Rabid Reads) wrote: "Yeah . . . not for me, LOL. I can handle creepy, but when it crosses that line into GROSS MAN . . . NOPE. Great review, dollface!"

Yeah, it was gross!! Thanks :D

Lola Exina wrote: "Nope, it was the nail obsession... But honestly, I'm not fond of exorcism either. I'm sure it's not my type of book... :D"

Min either. Plus the exorcism was really bad.

Lola Andreea wrote: "This sounds creepy, but not sure if good creepy. Hmmm..."

Not really. :P Weird mostly and predictable for the most part and dragging while being fast-paced. Weird.

Lola Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Great honest review Lola! Not for me!!!"

Lol, I wouldn't see you reading this type of book anyway, ahaha. Thanks :D

Lola Paula M. (Her Book Thoughts!) wrote: "HA. I knew you wouldn't like it. So why did I recommended it??? Sorry to torture you, Lola. Hahaha! I think my PLL addiction surfaced while I was reading the book so I quite liked it.

Totally wit..."

Yeah, but at the same time how can we just not read the sequel?? I just can't imagine what could happen to Sofia!!! Ha, it's okay! It wasn't that bad. But I kinda didn't see the PLL references. XD

Lola You sure can try it. ^^ Haaa, the nail things were disgusting. Maybe you'll like that LOL
Thanks :D

message 26: by Komal (new)

Komal Huh. I haven't tried such a genre before, but it sounds interesting in a creepy way.
And I hate cliffhangers too. >_>

Lola XD It really was interesting at first. It was creepy and gross.
I hate them when they're so bad (as in poignant)! But if I have book 2 with me then no problem, bring the cliffhanger on! haha

message 28: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix Sorry this didn't work out for you Lola..
Seems like lately all your reads have been lower ratings. :(

xx

Lola Well I did enjoy very much Know Not Why which I reviewed yesterday. ^^ And thw book I'm reading right now is SO good!! :DD
Thanks Filipa though, I did have many non-enjoyable reading, true.

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ So sorry it missed the mark Lola! Your review laid it out well. xo

Lola Thanks Sue! Some books are just not our thing. It was gross and so unrealistic blaah. xd
xoxo

message 32: by Hershey (new)

Hershey Great review, Lola.

Lola Hershey wrote: "Great review, Lola."

Thanks, Hershey! :D

Lola Lisa wrote: "Fab review, Lola!"

Thank you, Lisa!! :)

Lola I think that might be the problem, Sam. Maybe horror YA is actually not for me. Maybe I should try an adult one...but I'm completely terrified to do so. XD Thanks and I really hope you end up liking it!

message 36: by Jodie Louise (new) - added it

Jodie Louise Oh man i had such high hopes for this one!

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist I'm a big fan of scary movies (Exorcist, the old version one of my fav), but this doesn't sound good. Great, honest review Lola! xx

Lola Jodes wrote: "Oh man i had such high hopes for this one!"

Yeah.. :((

Lola *P*u*r*p*l*e* wrote: "I'm a big fan of scary movies (Exorcist, the old version one of my fav), but this doesn't sound good. Great, honest review Lola! xx"

Oh lala, okay, if you love those kinds of movis, maybe you'll enjoy it A BIT but the exorcism wasn't greatly practiced. Was weird. xd Thanks! :D

message 40: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Great and honest review, Lola!

Lola Thanks Ilze! :)

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party So, what you're saying is, this was pretty much you while reading most of this book... ;)
gross

Awesome review, Lola! :D

Lola But who crucifies people with nails??? XD

Yup, that was me. :D hehe awesome gif.

Thank you!

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘ This seems like such a strange book. Not sure if it would be my cuppa tea. Great review though, Lola. :)

Lola Yup, and it was gross!! The nails drove me crazy LOL
Thanks Peny! :)

message 46: by Mysza (new)

Mysza Great review Lola!

Lola Thank you, Mysza! :)

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Wonderful review Lola :))

Lola Thanks, Pavlina! :)

Natalie Monroe I agree. There were so many loose ends and if you really think about it, the ending makes no sense. (view spoiler)

« previous 1