Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Eat, pray, love: one woman's search for everything

Eat, pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert

May 19, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, 5-stars, memoir, non-fiction, owned-physical-book
Read from November 29 to 30, 2010

It's a tribute to the quality of this book, that I was able to read it just two days after having seen the movie (which was great!) and still loved it! Usually I have to be careful not to read/watch a story too soon after having watched/read it, as the latter will inevitably fall short of my expectations. This is why I actually wasn't planning to read this for quite awhile yet, but after seeing the movie, I just couldn't help myself.

And it was well worth it - the book was just as terrific as the movie had lead me to believe it would be. I'm incredibly impressed by Elizabeth Gilbert's bravery in leaving everything known for so long, and travelling to three countries as different as Italy, India and Indonesia. Must admit that Italy was the only country where I really felt motivated to go myself, but I was also very inspired by her experiences at the ashram in India. Don't think I could ever do something like that myself though.

Fascinating book, and a quick read, as it's split up into a lot of short chapters (1-5 pages each), so it was really easy to convince myself "just one more chapter!" - and suddenly I had read another 50 pages!

Highly recommendable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, pray, love.

Quotes Maria Liked

Elizabeth Gilbert
“I want God to play in my bloodstream the way sunlight amuses itself on the water.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“The Bhagavad Gita--that ancient Indian Yogic text--says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.”

Elizabeth Gilbert
“You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That's the only thing you should be trying to control.”