Aly Locatelli's Reviews > I Was Here

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

bookshelves: arc, contemporary, netgalley, young-adult

To read the full review, CLICK ME!

I tried to write a eulogy for that service. I did. I pulled out the disc Meg had burned of firefly songs for inspiration. The third one up was the Bishop Allen track "Fireflies." I don't know if I had ever really listened to the words before, because when I did now, they were like a smack from the grave: It says you can still forgive her. And she will forgive you back.

Suicide is a sensitive, difficult subject to write about and only a handful of authors can pull it off successfully. Gayle Forman took suicide and showed just how badly the aftermath affects those close to the victim, and how a victim isn't always in control. Meg and Cody's friendship was strong and indestructible, and being left behind is something Cody struggles to cope with. Not only that, but the fact that her best friend had never let on how bad things had gotten for her forces Cody's hunt for answers. What really happened to her best friend?

Full review to feature on 100% Rock!

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Here.

August 22, 2014 – Shelved
August 22, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 7, 2015 – Shelved as: arc
January 11, 2015 – Started Reading
January 11, 2015 –
13.0% "“You’d probably get bucked right off.” Oh, he likes that. He thinks we’re flirting, the dickwad. \n “Would I, now?” \n “Yeah. Horses can smell fear.” Something on his face falters for a second. \n Then: “What makes you think I’m scared?” \n “City dicks always are.” \n “How do you know I’m a city dick?”\n “Well, we’re in a city. And you’re a dick, aren’t you?""
January 11, 2015 –
33.0% "“She cried. After we slept together. She cried. She’d been okay, and then she was crying.” \n “Was she drunk?” I ask. “Like, really drunk?” \n “You mean did I fuck her when she was passed out? Jesus, Cody, I’m not that big of a shitbag.”"
January 11, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 11, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 11, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 11, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

David How did you feel about this book?

message 2: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly Locatelli I really liked it!