Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > The Colour of Milk

The Colour of Milk by Nell Leyshon

Aug 22, 2014

It was promised that this book would both charm me and crush me, and indeed it delivered on both counts. It is a very unique book in my opinion, written in the form of a diary by a young girl who, just at the age of 15, learned to read and write. So the prose is stilted and rough at the edges. At first this agitated me, but as I got to know Mary, I began to love her. This is a child who was born with a deformed leg into a farm family with three other girls. Mistreated by her mother and father and worked to the bone day and night, she had so few pleasures. Then she was sent away to the vicar (always ominous) to help out his sickly wife and selfish son. You know things are not going to turn out well for Mary, and it seems like she knows this too, but that doesn't crush her spirit. This is a girl after my own heart - she is full of piss and vinegar. Until she learns to read and write. There is a price for everything for an uneducated girl in the early 1800's.

This is a very short book...less than 200 pages, but packs a punch right in the gut. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't read it. You should. Just allow yourself time for a little malaise afterwards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colour of Milk.

August 22, 2014 – Started Reading