Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)'s Reviews > Venom

Venom by Jennifer Estep

Aug 22, 2014

bookshelves: audiobooks, elemental-assassin, urban-fantasy

In this, the third book of Jennifer Estep's wonderful Elemental Assassin series, Gin is finally coming into her own and fully embracing her new role as a "retired assassin." I found myself eager to listen to more and more as the story unfolded.

This time around, Gin finds herself ready to face off with Elliot Slater, Mab Monroe's giant enforcer. The giant has decided to make vampire Roslyn Phillips his unwilling girlfriend, and Gin won't let Roslyn be harassed any longer. While on the surface, it seems like a straight forward situation, Ms. Estep expertly weaves in details about Gin's past into the plot. As the story progresses, Gin's journey goes from that of an assassin helping a friend to one of a much deeper, more personal nature. I appreciate how Gin continues to grow not only in strength and magical ability, but in fortitude, with her personal, mental, and emotional development as the true diamond in the rough within Venom.

In addition, several of the supporting characters are featured front and center, giving Gin's life a more rounded, full nature. I love how Gin is learning to trust and love those she considers family. I also adore newcomer Owen Grayson, who accepts and adores Gin for the woman she truly is inside. Also, we learn more about Bria Coolidge, Gin's presumed deceased sister. While I bristled at Gin's first several encounters with Bria, I found myself with a lump in my throat during times as well.

Once again, I found the narration of the title by Lauren Fortgang utterly fantastic. Her range of voices for each character fits superbly. By now, I can easily recognize each character by their "voice," and find them all wonderful.

My Rating for the story: A
My Rating for the narration: A
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom.

August 22, 2014 – Started Reading
August 22, 2014 – Shelved
August 22, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 22, 2014 – Shelved as: audiobooks
August 22, 2014 – Shelved as: elemental-assassin
August 22, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
August 27, 2014 –
30.0% "I love how Gin is growing with each story."
September 1, 2014 –
65.0% "Owen's backstory from when he was on the streets... *sniffle* SO. GOOD."
September 3, 2014 –
90.0% "I knew it!! Go Roz!!"
September 3, 2014 – Finished Reading