Brian Hodges's Reviews > Feed

Feed by M.T. Anderson

May 18, 2010

bookshelves: ya-mg, sci-fi-fantasy, bloody-brilliant
Read in January, 2011

First of all, this book has perhaps my favorite opening line of any book ever: "We went to the Moon to have fun, but the Moon turned out to completely suck."

In the indeterminately near future, everyone of at least modest means has a "Feed" installed in their brains that allows them to access information, interact with their friends and purchase products from targeted advertisements beamed directly into their heads. Culture is completely driven by the capitalist/consumer mindset. Even School(TM) is run by the corporations because, as the lead character says, having the government run the schools "sounds completely, like, Nazi." It's gotten to the point where nobody really knows what goes on in the world beyond keeping up with whatever product, fashion or TV show is "meg brag" right now. Rumors of war, of riots, of the tensions surrounding the United States' annexation of the Moon are mere blips in a neverending flood of information fed directly into your head, making it hard to really care about anything, much less be impressed by even a Spring Break trip to the FREAKIN MOON!

The brilliance of this book, of course, is that you immediately realize that this isn't some dystopian future. This is RIGHT NOW.

But the beauty of this book is all in the language, in the voice, in the way the main character talks, even thinks, like he's KIND OF aware of the bigger issues of the world, but is already too much a product of his information and marketing saturated environment plus his "whatever" attitude peer group to even make heads or tails out of it. And even when he meets a girl who can finally open his eyes to what's really going on, even when the very reality of the feed starts to kill her, all he and his friends can think about is what a major drag she is.

Mesmerizing, albeit a bit slow in the middle, this book should be required reading for anyone who has immersed themselves in the social media world of today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

May 18, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
January 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 12, 2011 –
page 26
8.44% ""We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck." Quite possibly my favorite opening line of any book I've ever read. So far the first couple chapters are living up to that first line Let's hope it continues."
January 12, 2011 –
page 60
19.48% "Okay I know I'm barely one-sixth of the way through, but this book is shaping up to quite possibly be this generation's "Farenheit 451". I'm mesmerized. If you use Facebook (heh) or the Internet (heh heh) you should absolutely put this on your to-read list."
January 23, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-mg