Neil's Reviews > Tintin in America

Tintin in America by Hergé

May 18, 2010

liked it
Read in May, 2010

My first taste of Tintin... I can see the cheeky appeal.

There isn't much plot here, just a long series of narrow escapes, some through clever planning, but most by dumb luck. Yes, the attitudes on race are badly dated, but I think it's at least a little tongue-in-cheek. In other cases, the attitudes of the time are refreshing. There isn't much of it, but the political and social commentary, when it comes into the story, is still fresh all these years later.

My favorite bit was when a hotel detective stumbles into the plot, making a stream of mad deductions about the criminal who has just kidnapped Tintin's dog. The deductions are completely wrong and the detective is soon conked over the head and left behind like every other character in the story, but his minor turn is quite memorable.

The art is brightly colored, perhaps a bit repetitive after a few frames (some of the criminals are hard to distinguish from each other, but maybe that's the point.) I'm going to go on a few more of these adventures and get a further taste. From what I understand, Herge's plotting got better over time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tintin in America.