Shannon's Reviews > Deviate

Deviate by Tracy Clark

This series is kind of different. I really enjoy it and I'm fascinated by the concept. This book definitely stands out today in a sea of sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian, and contemporary young adult books. This one is paranormal and that's just not a huge trend at the moment so it's kind of nice to have fresh ideas in the sub-genre. I would recommend this to fans of The Archived by Victoria Schwab or The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater. It would be a perfect read for the fall, which is why it's a bit puzzling that each book has been released in March. It doesn't really have anything to do with the seasons but I just find more people are into paranormal type books in the fall leading up to Halloween. It's still good no matter when you read it though.

This second installment in the Light Key trilogy was very intriguing. It held my attention and had me at the edge of my seat several times. There are some new characters that add a lot to the story. I enjoyed the dual perspectives with Finn and Cora. It adds so much to see the opposite ends of the spectrum with those 2 characters and the struggles that each of them have because of who they are. We do get a bunch of answers in this book but there are still a couple of mysteries saved for book 3. I kind of wish this was just a duology though. This book could have been cut down a little bit to accommodate those last couple mysteries. There were a couple times in this book that dragged along for a short while because it felt like nothing was happening or they were talking in circles. I personally have no interest in Dante or his works and this book had a lot of references to that. The thing that is fun with referencing a classic is it makes it feel more grounded in reality. I just personally find Dante boring and I've already read a book that had way too much Dante and it completely turned me off of him forever so I wasn't a fan of that. It didn't overpower the book though so it's still worth a read even if you're not a fan of Dante.

Overall I enjoyed this book as much as the first one and would definitely recommend this series to readers that are looking for something a little bit different.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deviate.

August 20, 2014 – Shelved