Susan's Reviews > The Last Time I Died

The Last Time I Died by Joe Nelms

I won a copy of this from Goodreads giveaway and as always I am inordinately delighted! Thank you!

Now, onto The Last Time I Died. I'll just say up front that I'm struggling with the star rating. Unlike anything I've read before and once I picked this up I could hardly put it down, so five stars right there. And there's some terrific writing deserving of that fifth star. Here's a bit that caught me early on -

"I am the sticky, syrupy, sinful residue of a hate reduction sauce. I am thick. I am obstinate in my despair. "

And there lies some of my hesitation in granting that fifth star. Christian, our protagonist, is in a bad place, hell bent on self destruction, and the reader is inside his head and it's not a very pleasant or comfortable place to be. And as our story evolves with Christian desperately seeking answers, picking over the wreckage of his life, devolving at a rather horrifying rate we learn why that is so, why it is even necessary.

This book is definitely not for everyone. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking who I would recommend it to wholeheartedly. There is language and rather a great deal to be squeamish about ... so I'm a little stumped. I'm glad I read it but despite being hard to put down, I want to know Christians truth as badly as he does, but it was also hard to read, emotionally, psychology hard to read.

Five stars for the book but reducing by half a star for the language and disturbing imagery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time I Died.

August 20, 2014 – Shelved