Luís C.'s Reviews > Capitães da Areia

Capitães da Areia by Jorge Amado

bookshelves: favourites, brazil, leya, 20th-century

This book portrays the story of a group of orphaned children who lived on the streets of Bahia. They were a group of boys, known to all as the captains of the sand lived in an abandoned warehouse, near the beach and occupied their days trying to get what to eat or what to wear, often having to steal to get it. The majority of the city's inhabitants rejected them and despised them because of their flames of conflicting thieves and boys. Nevertheless, and although they sometimes made certain attitudes, these boys were simple children, boys, who by circumstances of life were obliged to be different, knowing that they could only rely on themselves for survival.
Often their attitudes were justified by the love and affection they had, some because they had been abandoned by the mothers, others because they had never known them. However, none of them wished to go to an orphanage, because they knew the word freedom, and they did not exchange it for anything. Throughout the book various episodes and episodes of the life of these children are portrayed, and although they all live in precarious conditions, all were motivated by a dream that they would like to achieve. Thus, throughout history, we are confronted with realities very different from ours, and we become aware of many things these children go through. Children, who in most instances acted as true men, faced the problems by becoming aware of the penalties they might suffer. Captains of the Sands, one of Jorge Amado's best-known novels, is a book that despite being more than 50 years old, in which little or nothing was done to improve the situation of poverty and abandoned children that is present in the streets of Brazil, since today it remains the same or worse. This book describes the story of a group of abandoned, uncomfortable boys who lived by stealing, and lived in a warehouse led by Pedro Bala, who was a kind of father for all children. Throughout the book some of the past passages are being told by them always being regarded as a threat to society. Also dreams are reported that will be later recorded. We are faced with the arrival of a girl named Dora, a native of the book, who lives a love story with Pedro Bala. Dora was very respected becoming a sister and also a mother to all the children. A wonderful book that all young people should read, in order to realize that there is a reality quite different from what people are living.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Capitães da Areia.

Quotes Luís Liked

Jorge Amado
“Vestidos de farrapos, sujos, semiesfomeados, agressivos, soltando palavrões e fumando pontas de cigarro, eram, em verdade, os donos da cidade, os que a conheciam totalmente, os que totalmente a amavam, os seus poetas.”
Jorge Amado, Capitães da Areia

Finished Reading
August 20, 2014 – Shelved
August 20, 2014 – Shelved as: favourites
June 6, 2017 – Shelved as: brazil
December 1, 2017 – Shelved as: leya
August 19, 2019 – Shelved as: 20th-century

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

David That my friend, is a fabulous review. Yes the underlying message about freedom, is very important (and I left out but had considered it). That was a treat to read.

I also found a version on You Tube of the 2011 movie. Quite enjoyable although sadly I was challenged with your language (my lacking ability to transfer reading to oral).

Thanks for sharing.

Luís C. David wrote: "That my friend, is a fabulous review. Yes the underlying message about freedom, is very important (and I left out but had considered it). That was a treat to read.

I also found a version on You T..."

I need to find that movie version on Youtube too. Thanks for the warning. Big hug, David!

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Great review, Luis!

Luís C. Diane wrote: "Great review, Luis!"

Thank you, Diane.

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Ferreira Livro maravilhoso este, e excelentemente bem escrito. O filme é bom, mas não tem comparação com o livro, mas creio que será muito difícil transpor alguns livros para as telas, este será um deles.

Luís C. Maria wrote: "Livro maravilhoso este, e excelentemente bem escrito. O filme é bom, mas não tem comparação com o livro, mas creio que será muito difícil transpor alguns livros para as telas, este será um deles."

Boa tarde, Maria. Sim, geralmente é isso que acontece. Obrigado pelo comentário. Boas leituras! Luís.