Stacie's Reviews > Middlemarch

Middlemarch by George Eliot

Dec 12, 2007

bookshelves: abandoned, 1001books, to-read

I got a little over halfway through...it was OK, but I just couldn't keep my mind from wandering when I read it. I put it down one day and picked up another book and can't bring myself to pick it back up. One day, I will read it from cover to cover. But, with a little help from my friends I have made the executive decision to just quit - there really are more books in the world to read that won't make me feel like I am doing something I should be doing rather than something I want to be doing. That is what I learned from this book...Victorian novels, to me, are like cleaning the house.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlemarch.

Alex You and your damn two-star reviews, Stacie. I keep looking for one-star books for the Challenge, and you've given two stars to a number of my nominees. Maybe I could bribe you to change your reviews.

You did hate Persuasion though, so that's currently in the lead for my one-starrer. You're still my savior; everyone else I know has blindly given everything five stars.

message 2: by Stacie (new) - added it

Stacie I am very hard to please, Alex.

Meghan Victorian novels, to me, are like cleaning the house. HA! Love it.

Meghan Well, if you ever do pick it back up, I can say that the story does pick up and moves quite quickly in the last 300+ pages.

message 5: by Stacie (new) - added it

Stacie Maybe I will just read the last 300 pages. :)

Meghan The last three "books" are the best--it's more plot and less everything else. But it's still Eliot, so you know, it's no Adam Smith.

Ellyn Cassey I quit reading it for the same reasons. It was interesting, but it was just too long.

Kathy I started this novel 20 years ago and made it through the first 120 or so pages before giving up. One of my resolutions was to try again to read it, this time with a small group of friends, and I am so glad I've read this book. It's filled with aphorisms, humor, and characters who will always live with you.

message 9: by Trudy (new) - added it

Trudy Brasure I'm only on chapter 5 and I have the feeling this is going to be a slog, and not enjoyment. This, after having read Wives and Daughters by Gaskell which was pure enjoyment and also a tale of everyday life of English villagers.
I don't know when to stop reading, I feel I need to be able to say I've read Eliot...

Kathy Just to read Eliot, try Adam Bede. But to say you've read one of the great novels written in English, stay with Middlemarch. You honestly will adjust to the style, and many more interesting characters enter the story since Eliot is really writing a "biography" of a region. And many of her comments are humorous--not laugh out loud funny, but still good.

message 11: by Trudy (new) - added it

Trudy Brasure Kathy wrote: "Just to read Eliot, try Adam Bede. But to say you've read one of the great novels written in English, stay with Middlemarch. You honestly will adjust to the style, and many more interesting chara..."
I'll stick it out! I find some parts tedious, but I want to know why this is acclaimed so highly. Thanks for your summary.

message 12: by George Elliot (new)

George Elliot I do not understand why it is considered to be the best novel ever written in English. By all means not trying to just leave a bad review, but honestly want to know.. am I missing something? I am not a native speaker so maybe I do not understand the special way the novel was written? I normally don't like love novels either, so maybe this is why this book just couldn't hold my attention. I read more than 300 pages and I just can't do it anymore. If there is something I am missing please somebody explain. Thank you!