C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: 4-star, paranormal, read-2015, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

I love Neil Gaiman's style, so when I started this and didn't love it...I FREAKED. I wanted to love it so so much...but (thank ghostily) I adored it by the end and I cannot screech "THIS IS BRILLIANT GENIUS" enough.
description
Awk! Bod was so cute! His name is Nobody Owens. (I'm so calling my firstborn spawn Nobody Owens. I am. Just wait. Either that or my dog or something.) When he was just a wee tot, he escaped his crib the same night a man (called Jack) came to murder his entire family. Bod got adopted by the grave yard, because, as they say:

It takes a graveyard to raise a child.

I loved how the story started from Bod being a tiny tot, to when he was about 15. Each chapter indicates a few years have passed. Bod is really intelligent and thoughtful and absolutely loves his graveyard family. Although he's curious about the outside world. UNDERSTANDABLE. There is a bit of omnipresent headhopping, but mostly I was okay with that. (I usually loathe omnipresent.)

The only thing I wasn't sold on was the reason Jack wanted to kill Bod's family. When it came to the finale and gargantuan graveyard chase of villains and Bod & Co...I was just. Meh. I wasn't convinced. I still have whys and whats and hows. Also I wish it had finished on ch 7. Ch 8 is SAD. (view spoiler)

I adore Gaiman's style. It's just perfection. It's dryly funny and quirky and thoughtful all at once. He paints the best pictures with the most uncanny words. I JUST WANT TO EAT ALL HIS BOOKS. I've only read Coraline and Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch so far, but I WILL READ MORE BECAUSE I LOVE HIS STYLE. (It also really inspires me to write. It's similar to the style I like to write in. But I digress.)

We had a rocky start, The Graveyard Book and I, but I absolutely loved it by the end and I couldn't hug it harder. A boy raised by a graveyard of ghosts? This is just perfection.
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

August 19, 2014 – Shelved
August 19, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2015 – Started Reading
January 26, 2015 –
page 100
32.05% "Aw, Bod is a bit cute."
January 26, 2015 –
page 200
64.1% "I'm quite adoring this. DEAD THINGS AND GHOSTS??! IT'S LIKE IT WAS WRITTEN FOR ME."
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
January 26, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 26, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

mahima YAAAY!

message 2: by Yomi (new)

Yomi Hi, Cait
Have you read Sandman comics by Him?

C.G. Drews @Mawa: EXTRA YAY!

@Yomi: I have not! Are they good?!

message 4: by Yomi (new)

Yomi Cait Grace wrote: "@Mawa: EXTRA YAY!

@Yomi: I have not! Are they good?!"

I think so. Give it a try.

Georgia Cait, what a darling review. Good job!!