Eric Mesa's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

bookshelves: basis-for-movie

This book deserves all the praise that has been heaped upon it. Brooks does an excellent job putting together a history of both how the zombie virus became an epidemic and how the human race came on top. He gives each character their own voice and style. I really felt as if it were a real documentation of history. I also enjoyed the meta-story told through both the names of the countries/provinces and the introductions to each section.

Like any good work of science fiction it reveals a lot more about us now through its speculation of how we'd act under this situation. The section with the member of the US presidential cabinet really hammers that home.

There isn't really much more else to say. Like The Walking Dead, this story isn't really about the zombies, it's about how they affected the human race. (view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

August 19, 2014 – Started Reading
August 19, 2014 – Shelved
August 19, 2014 –
1.0% "A few stories in. I really like the way Brooks put it together. Never seen the movie, but I've heard the complaints. This book could NEVER have been a movie and retained the same feel. Now, an HBO show...that would have been incredible."
August 20, 2014 –
45.0% "really enjoying it"
August 21, 2014 – Shelved as: basis-for-movie