Deena Scintilla's Reviews > Bonobo Handshake: A Memoir of Love and Adventure in the Congo

Bonobo Handshake by Vanessa Woods

2220247
May 17, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, animals
Read from June 09 to 10, 2010

I received this as a Goodreads Advance Copy Giveaway and have not wanted to put it down so it'll be a quick read. I've always enjoyed reading about our closest relatives since taking a Physical Anthropology class in CA many, many years ago. OK. so back to reading the book.....oh, and thanks Goodreads for my copy!

Loved it. Altho parts of it were heartbreaking, there was also a lot of joy and humor.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonobo Handshake.

Quotes Deena Liked

Vanessa Woods
“We do terrible things to the ones we love. We cheat and lie and betray them, for thirty pieces of silver or our own selfish hearts. The only way love endures is because of one simple gift. Forgiveness.”
Vanessa Woods, Bonobo Handshake: A Memoir of Love and Adventure in the Congo

Vanessa Woods
“When I talk to people about what makes us human, some people say it’s our tears. Because we are the only ones who weep, only we can feel true sorrow. When I hear this, I remember Isiro’s face, her anguished eyes as she cried for Mikeno, how she screamed at the keepers with her teeth bared and pushed at the poles. How she dashed back to his body and dug her fingers into his chest as if the strength of her grip could bring him back. There is sorrow without tears. Of course there is.”
Vanessa Woods, Bonobo Handshake: A Memoir of Love and Adventure in the Congo

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele I thought this looked like a good one,too.

Deena Scintilla I'll let you read my copy. I've laughed a lot but also felt anger & sadness.