Ari's Reviews > UnDivided

UnDivided by Neal Shusterman

bookshelves: dystopia, favorites, male-approved, alternating-pov, best-of
Read 2 times. Last read August 11, 2019.

Short review:

I am unwinding in the inside.
My thoughts are in a divided state and I can't make myself rewind them.

This story is too powerful for words.

I just know that I LOVE this series.
I know that I love...
I... I know that...
I...
I...
...
...

Full review:

There are very few books so powerful that can follow you into your dreams. That leave an imprint on your soul. That are so dreadful and horrifying, but in the same time so beautiful and completely mesmerising.

And this time around it was true, it was not a wish of sorts, not a simple thought that just comes and goes. After reading it (this whole series), I had the more horrifying night ever – dreaming of unwinds and AWOLs, leaping back into consciousness only to be swept away into another desperate dream, where someone would be divided to pieces and I would endlessly run for my life.

It’s no wonder actually, as I’ve been spending around 4-5 days with the series, so my mind was pretty much overfilled with this story, but still.. I confirm that (indeed) this book has the power to haunt you even in your sleep.

It’s hard to get to the end of a series when you love it as much as I loved this one. It pains me to be over with it.

But truth being told, it was exhausting, emotionally draining! My heart wouldn’t have been able to take any more pain or suspense, and I think that the characters felt just the same.

Everything came into place. Everything made complete sense. All their small fights had an impact on the world around, but the way it resonated – well, that seemed to be a lot greater than the sum of its parts. They probably never dreamed of achieving this much. They just wanted a chance to… be.

If the first book was created as a standalone, the last 3 books come hand in hand. You can’t have one without the others, you can’t see the big picture without reading them all. It started as the story of Risa, Lev and Connor. It ended as the story of so many more.

All those people who didn’t believe in unwinding (/anymore), all those people who needed and wanted things to change, all those people who were guilty in a way or another, all those people that had a handful of letters written in blood, even the world itself was there to watch them take the last steps in this journey – and it was marvellous.

Without any of them, the story wouldn’t have been the same, the ending wouldn’t have been as great. Their individual fights, their sacrifices, their strength and hope for a better world was what drove them on this path.

There are not enough words in this world to express the immensity and the beauty of it all.

I will miss these characters dearly, I feel like knowing them better than I know my own friends and I cared for them so much through this story. They are part of my life now and I refuse to say goodbye.

Conclusion:
I wish I could unwind time so I could experience this book from every possible angle, not passing through the moment, but living it.
[adapted from a book quote from Connor]

Happy midnight reading!

* Read the full review here.

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read UnDivided.

Quotes Ari Liked

Neal Shusterman
“AWOL’s most valuable commodity: hope. It’s something in short supply for those who have been deemed not worth the sum of their parts.”

Neal Shusterman
“Best way to save humanity is to turn the monsters against one another.”

Neal Shusterman
“In a population of hundreds of millions, such a small number of people is a mere drop in the bucket... but enough drops can make any bucket overflow”

Neal Shusterman
“I'm sure my parents must be proud. Or horrified. Or are bitterly arguing about whether they're proud or horrified, and have already hired lawyers to resolve the dispute. -Hayden Upchurch”

August 19, 2014 – Shelved
August 19, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 19, 2014 – Shelved as: dystopia
October 14, 2014 –
1.0% "Dear Neal, \n \n They've been through hell & back. Please tell me you have something good planned for them too in this ending. No sunshines and rainbows, only a bittersweet happy something.\n \n PS: Don't make me play the unwind card!"
October 16, 2014 –
75.0% "That's it, I'll unwind this book letter by letter!\n \n "
Started Reading
October 17, 2014 – Finished Reading
October 18, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
December 2, 2014 – Shelved as: male-approved
September 30, 2018 – Shelved as: alternating-pov
October 6, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of
Started Reading
August 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Giedre 5 stars good? Brilliant :-)

Lis  Carcamo (The Reader L) Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Патріцк (pro surfer) Wow that's cool

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I loved this book! :)

Патріцк (pro surfer) Really what's it about

message 6: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I am not sure I can find the right words to explain it.. There are so many things these books are about (it all comes down to life and one's worth but that doesn't actually defines it). You should check the first book in the series, as this one is the 4th and last one and they are all related.

All I can say right now is that in my opinion this is the best dystopian story out there, absolutely phenomenal!

Lis  Carcamo (The Reader L) I just finished this one!... "that thing" with Lev... OMG! you should have warned me, I almost had a heart attack!

message 9: by Ari (last edited Dec 29, 2014 04:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Ha haaa! Well, I almost had various heart attacks while reading this book, LOL. But doesn't it feel good to dive into it without knowing what to expect? :D Because I loved every moment of it and I would read it for-the-first-time over and over again. If only that would be possible ;))

Lis  Carcamo (The Reader L) Yes! yes! You’re so right! and now that I think I had various heart attacks, too... wow! it was horribly brilliant!

message 11: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari You are right, it's a terrible world, but I can't help but be drawn to it. And those characters were all so amazing. Such a wonderful series!

Mahnoor Ahsan What is wrong with you?! The beginning of your review made my heart feel like it'd stopped. At that part of book #1 I had to put down my copy and sob. Don't do that! :D

message 13: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari It's not me, it's the author.
He did this to me :p

Mahnoor Ahsan Sigh.
I did the sob thing twice in UnDivided. You can probably guess when/where. :)

message 15: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I did too. Even though someone freaking spoiled the ending on the author's facebook page (!!!) so I knew that -hmm, wait a minute.. did you finish reading the book?- (view spoiler), but it was still all too emotional for me at some point.

Mahnoor Ahsan I've finished it, yeah. I don't visit GR much, which is why it's in 'currently reading'.
It IS really emotional, especially near the end.

message 17: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, they all are. Now... as much as I liked the books, I fear for the future movie. I mean, the story is so amazing, they HAVE to make a great movie or simply not make it at all. I will cry a river and an ocean if they ruin it on the big screen, and I still hate myself for wanting it so badly as I can't seem to be able to let the story/world/characters go *sigh*