Kim Aippersbach's Reviews > Valor's Choice

Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff

Aug 19, 2014

Another new favourite character! I probably like Torin Kerr so much because she is everything I am not: decisive, courageous, strong-willed, really good at getting people to do what she wants them to do, whether they're her underlings or her superiors.

So far my only exposure to military sci fi has been Lois McMaster Bujold, whom I love, and Tanya Huff has now convinced me this might be a genre I like (but maybe only the female authors?!). Huff's depiction of life in the Marines sounds accurate enough to be based on experience (did she used to be a NCO herself? she really seems to know what she's talking about!). I thoroughly enjoyed watching Staff Sergeant Kerr Get Things Done by whatever means necessary, particularly the tricky business of letting the officer lead while making sure he doesn't do anything stupid (in other words, anything Torin Kerr thinks is stupid).

There were a few too many characters to keep track of sometimes, but Huff does a great job of differentiating the various alien races, and they're a lot of fun. The whole book is a lot of fun: Huff's trademark humour much in evidence, lots of action, great twist at the end.

I read this in the Confederation of Valor omnibus, and I went right into the second book. Give me more Torin Kerr!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valor's Choice.

Started Reading