Phee's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

bookshelves: read-in-2014, read-in-2018
Read 2 times. Last read January 19, 2018 to January 22, 2018.

Well, I’m pleased to say that I am pleasantly surprised at my feelings towards this book. Upon first reading I didn’t much care for it at all. I didn’t like Jorg, I didn’t care for his brothers and I got overly confused by the different timelines in this book. Couple that with my tendency to read rather quickly and I was left rather underwhelmed.
However, upon my re-read 4 years later my opinions have changed somewhat.

Don’t get me wrong, I still didn’t much care for Jorg’s brothers. I don’t feel like those characters are explored anywhere near enough and they aren’t developed in the slightest. Which is a shame because some of them have hints of colour to them that I would rather enjoy to see properly.
I also did again struggle getting the timelines straight in my head. You’d just get in the rhythm of one timeline, either Past (4 years earlier, after the end of book one), or Present- Wedding Day. You’d have about 4 chapters of one and then the timeline would change, and then it would happen again. Not to mention other chapters that are Katherine’s diary entries interspersed throughout.
But I slowed down my reading speed, with the help of the audiobook. And I did get my head around it in the end. I get why it was done and the story makes a lot of sense to be told in this way. Jorg in the present is slowing reclaiming his terrible and haunting memories from the past (4 years ago) and the reader gets to slowly to see, along with Jorg, just what terrible things happened. By the end it was a rather impressive show, if a little predictable.

Now onto the things I did like. The prose was wonderfully done. Gritty and dark just like our young Jorg. But also tender and beautiful at times. It seems odd to talk about beauty in this book but there is some present. Amongst the horrors. And there are plenty of those let me tell you. Animal cruelty and rape and killing of children. Horrible things. Some of which were hard to read, even I had to grit my teeth at some scenes.
As terrible as these things were they did have an important part to play in the story. It wasn’t done for shock and awe.

I really enjoyed how much Jorg grew in this one. He is probably one of the most despicable and determined characters I have ever read about. But you do see glimpses of good in him in this one. Only the tiniest slithers of good, but good nonetheless. There were actions he took in this book that were not his choices and if he had the choice he wouldn’t have gone down that path. Don’t get me wrong he is still an asshole, a major asshole. But underneath all that darkness and cunning, there is some compassion.

I’m looking forward to the last book in the trilogy as I have never read that one. I am uncertain as to what Jorg is going to do next. But it will surly be an interesting and probably disgusting ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

August 19, 2014 – Started Reading
October 10, 2014 – Shelved as: read-in-2014
January 19, 2018 – Started Reading
January 20, 2018 –
January 21, 2018 –
36.0% "I am actually enjoying this more than I did the first time I read it. My biggest complaint is the various different timelines. It’s difficult to not get them all muddled."
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
January 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Top class review 👍