Jasmine's Reviews > The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller

The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller by L.B. Simmons

6 SUN AND MOON STARS! ★★★★★★

"My name is Aubrey Miller, or Raven Miller, depending on what part of my life I'm referencing, and this is my story."

I just wanted to curl up in my bed for the entire rest of my day after putting this one down. It caused a riot of my emotions & not to mentioned, my box of Kleenex fell victim to my ugly crying while going through this one. This was like Sea of Tranquillity meets Hopeless and entered into a threesome with Ten Tiny Breaths. ALL which sums up to my feelings for this book:

******

The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller is a story of how a little girl witnessed the death of each of her family member & lived through loss than most people of her age. Traumatised at a young age, her misplaced sense of guilt made her believed that she was the cause of death to everyone she ever loved or cared of. As a defense mechanism, she goes by an alter ego, Raven; whose appearance mimics a goth-punk to repel everyone away & ensure they're safe from their impending "doom of death".

Well almost everyone steered clear of her except for her perky pink-lover roommate, Quinn and the one person she thought she'd never see again after all those years; her childhood friend, Kaeleb.

Okay okay I know, I can easily draw parallel from this to SoT where:
1. Natsya goes all gothic & pulling the same stunt with everyone.
2. Josh was also known as the "boy of death"; similar to Aubrey/Raven here.
3. The whole "Sunshine" endearing term. What a coincidence LOL!

Also the whole Kaeleb finally finding Aubrey after all those years would definitely spark up memories from Hopeless.

So why still the 6-stars rating?

Because I decided to rate this based on the overall execution of the story (which I found to be incredibly powerful and brilliant) rather than the originality of the premise brought to the table. Many authors can easily recycle a similar idea & play it out differently in their own books, but rarely one can transform that idea into delivering such an emotional power-packed punch read like this one. This not just a depressing read about how a girl will find her life back (or "resurrected her life again") but a journey of self-discovery and finding that light at the end of the tunnel as 3 individuals form an unbreakable bond & helped each other to heal their broken selves.

And for this, I must commend L.B. Simmons for this astonishing feat (and also for all that ugly crying she put me through).

On the surface, this really does come off as superbly morbid & honestly I was afraid to put myself through such a depressing read. But you would be surprised that there is a good balance of that melancholy tone mixed with some light-heartedness coated in between.

Quinn's character definitely stood out for me; she was like the sunshine in this dark book although beneath that perky girl lies a damaged soul. Kaeleb on the other hand, is nothing short of swoon-worthy ♥♥ He's that sexy, witty & charming guy who is constantly supportive of Aubrey and Quinn & cared for them endlessly.

Even when Aubrey hit rock bottom, Kaeleb was her only anchor left & he would have gone to the depths of hell to bring her back. Even as he struggled with his own demons, he never stopped trying to save Aubrey.

"I'll help you get lost anytime, Sunshine. The only deal is you have to promise to come back. I never want to lose you again."

I think the story as an overall was well-paced, the romance also wasn't too heavy or rushed which I appreciated because it focused more on the original premise itself. By 70% onwards, that's when the powerful punch kicks in and my sob-fest begin (thanks LB Simmons, you owe me half a box of Kleenex now). All I can say that it was heartbreaking, depressing, inspiring and uplifting; ALL OF THOSE FEELINGS COMING TOGETHER throughout that entire stretch.

Was the story predictable? Well it wasn't hard to guess what was coming but that doesn't change the fact that when I got to it, I was still crying like a baby. The writing was impeccable and the words flowed effortlessly which really hit me strong in the gut.

And that goes without saying that this book is one that will stay with me for a while as I soak it all in. A beautiful, uplifting story of friendship, heartache and love. A story of how death can bring someone to the deepest end of hell and to truly experience pain & sorrow before realizing the true meaning of life.

“Without heartache, there is no understanding of the true meaning of love. Without anger, passion cannot be comprehended. Without fear, there is nothing gained when overcome. And without sorrow, happiness can never be realized.”

It's just one of those reads that you have to read to experience it. I regret nothing even after all it put me through because I absolutely loved it ♥

“You know, if the sun and the moon were to actually collide, it would set off a cataclysmic reaction of epic proportions. Are you ready to have your world completely obliterated?”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller.

August 18, 2014 – Shelved
August 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 18, 2014 – Shelved as: buddy-recs
August 18, 2014 – Shelved as: new-adult
September 1, 2014 –
33.0% "The first round of waterworks has been unleashed D:\n \n "
September 2, 2014 – Started Reading
September 2, 2014 –
100.0% "Just had quite a sob-fest with this. I'm at loss for words. Don't even know if I can write a review on this one just yet..\n \n \n \n But one thing I'm sure of: A solid 6-stars writing. Won't settle for anything less."
September 2, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
September 2, 2014 – Shelved as: wannabe-bffs
September 2, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 23, 2014 – Shelved as: i-trust-feifei
November 23, 2014 – Shelved as: best-of-2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)

message 1: by Saffron (new) - added it

Saffron What a review sweets!! Mind blowing!! Thanks for solving my dilemma...this goes on my TBR...and will read it soon...
Good job!! :D

message 2: by .Karéz. (new) - added it

.Karéz. Awesome review, jasmine!, def goes on my TBR! x<33

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Great review, Jasmine! I've been meaning to read this for ages, must bump it up the tbr :)

message 4: by Geri Reads (new)

Geri Reads Fabulous review as always, Jasmine. :)

Jasmine Supreet wrote: "What a review sweets!! Mind blowing!! Thanks for solving my dilemma...this goes on my TBR...and will read it soon...
Good job!! :D"

Thanks so much sweets!! ♥♥ Really appreciate it! I think you'll enjoy this one ;) Keen to hear how it'll go for you! :D

Btw good luck with school hun!! xo ♥

Mysza Fantastic review Jasmine!

Jasmine Karéz wrote: "Awesome review, jasmine!, def goes on my TBR! x<33"

Thanks so much girlie!! ♥♥ Hope you'll enjoy this one when you get to it! :D

Jasmine AJ wrote: "Great review, Jasmine! I've been meaning to read this for ages, must bump it up the tbr :)"

Thanks so much AJ!! ♥♥ It's been sitting on my Kindle a while too & since it was my day off, I knew I had to dig this one up ;D Lucky me otherwise there would be ugly crying at work hehe.

Hope you'll enjoy when you get to it! :)

Jasmine ♥~♥Geri ~ the HEA junkie ♥~♥ wrote: "Fabulous review as always, Jasmine. :)"

Thanks so much Geri!! ♥♥ Really appreciate it! :D

Jasmine Mysza wrote: "Fantastic review Jasmine!"

Thanks so much Mysza dear!! ♥♥ So glad you loved this one too!! :D

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘ This actually sounds a little different from SoT, lol. Awesome review, bestie! Glad you enjoyed this read. ♥

Jasmine Penelope wrote: "This actually sounds a little different from SoT, lol. Awesome review, bestie! Glad you enjoyed this read. ♥"

Thankiu bestie!! ♥♥ Yes it actually is haha! If I had to rate this against SoT, this was definitely much better than SoT ;) But this one was wayyy more morbid compared to SoT D:

message 13: by Ada (new) - added it

Ada Great review, Jasmine! I'm kinda scared to read it, I don't wanna cry. It's definitely there on my TBR list, but saving it for when I'll be hormonal and need a good cry, I just watched The Fault in Our Stars movie and I'm good for a while ;)

Jasmine Ada wrote: "Great review, Jasmine! I'm kinda scared to read it, I don't wanna cry. It's definitely there on my TBR list, but saving it for when I'll be hormonal and need a good cry, I just watched The Fault in..."

Thanks so much hun!! ♥♥ I was initially scared too but it was worthwhile the tears ;D Ooh TFioS!! I cried so many times while watching the movie ;) Yup you're definitely good for a while hehe :)

Beverly Awesome review Jasmine!

Jasmine Beverly wrote: "Awesome review Jasmine!"

Thanks so much babe!! ♥♥ xo

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Fab review Jasmine!! :)
xoxoxo

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Awesome review, Jasmine!!! I'm so glad you loved it♥

Jasmine Patty❤️❤️Belongs To❤️Kellan Kyle❤️AND❤️Jesse Ward❤️❤️ wrote: "Fab review Jasmine!! :)
xoxoxo"

Thanks so much Patty love!! ♥♥ xo

Jasmine Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Mafia Princess* wrote: "Awesome review, Jasmine!!! I'm so glad you loved it♥"

Thanks so much sweetie!! ♥♥ Definitely loved it although a lot of tissues were harmed in the process :P

Brandi Fabulous review, Jasmine! This was a great read. Glad you loved it :)

Jasmine Brandi wrote: "Fabulous review, Jasmine! This was a great read. Glad you loved it :)"

Thanks sweetie!! ♥♥ Indeed it was! Glad you enjoyed this one too! :)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Fantastic review Jasmine! This one I am scared of.. = ))

message 24: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy Woot, great review! This book has been on my TBR list for months but comparing it to the feels and plot of SofT sold me! Thank you!

ღFloღ the coffee addict Wonderful review, Jasmine!! <3 You had me at 6 Stars. LOL.

message 26: by S.M. (new)

S.M. West Stunning review, doll! xo

Jasmine SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Fantastic review Jasmine! This one I am scared of.. = ))"

Thanks so much Sue love! ♥♥ Yes it is quite an emotional rollercoaster & tissues need to be ready!

Jasmine Andy wrote: "Woot, great review! This book has been on my TBR list for months but comparing it to the feels and plot of SofT sold me! Thank you!"

Thanks so much Andy!! ♥♥ Same here! I had this for a long while but finally decided to pick this up ;D It definitely reminded me a lot of SoT, but I would say this was much better (and also I cried a whole lot more here haha!) ;D

Keen to hear how it'll go for you! Hope you enjoy! :D

Jasmine ღFloღ wrote: "Wonderful review, Jasmine!! <3 You had me at 6 Stars. LOL."

BAHAHA! Thanks so much sweetie! ♥♥ I usually give out my 6 stars when the book constantly consumes my mind and I go through a mini book withdrawal heh ;D I'll be keen to hear how this goes for you ;)

Jasmine Suzanne wrote: "Stunning review, doll! xo"

Thanks so much sweetie! ♥♥

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Fantastic review friend!

Nikki Beautiful review hun!! xoxo

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Beautiful review Jasmine! I love them! Will keep this in mind if I feel like I need a good cry. So happy you loved it! xo

[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ Love those 3 books u described this as so must try this soon-ish. Fab review Jasmine x

message 35: by Eliza (new) - added it

Eliza Glad you enjoyed it hun, wonderful review! =)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Love your review Jasmine!! So glad you enjoyed this one too :D

message 37: by Anja (new)

Anja Beautiful review, Jasmine! <3

Rachel Reads Ravenously Incredible review Jasmine! I've got to read this one :)

Jasmine J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Fantastic review friend!"

Thanks so much J!! ♥♥

Jasmine Nikki wrote: "Beautiful review hun!! xoxo"

Thanks so much sweetie!! ♥♥ Glad you enjoyed this one too! :D

Jasmine Kirsten wrote: "Beautiful review Jasmine! I love them! Will keep this in mind if I feel like I need a good cry. So happy you loved it! xo"

Thanks so much Kirsten sweetie! ♥♥ Yes this would be a good cry if you need one! ;D

Jasmine [~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ wrote: "Love those 3 books u described this as so must try this soon-ish. Fab review Jasmine x"

Thanks so much hun! ♥♥ Hope you'll enjoy it when you try this one! :D

Jasmine Eliza wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it hun, wonderful review! =)"

Thanks so much sweetie! ♥♥

Jasmine Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Love your review Jasmine!! So glad you enjoyed this one too :D"

Thanks so much sweetie!! ♥♥ Yes it was such an amazing read eventho I harmed so many tissues in the process ;D

Jasmine Anja wrote: "Beautiful review, Jasmine! <3"

Thankiu so much sweetie! ♥♥

Jasmine Rachel (Reads Ravenously) wrote: "Incredible review Jasmine! I've got to read this one :)"

Thanks so much Rachel!! ♥♥ Hope you'll enjoy this one when you pick it up :D

Rachel Reads Ravenously Jasmine wrote: "Rachel (Reads Ravenously) wrote: "Incredible review Jasmine! I've got to read this one :)"

Thanks so much Rachel!! ♥♥ Hope you'll enjoy this one when you pick it up :D"

Thanks! Definitely going to bump it up on my tbr :)

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda awesome review, jasmine. this is one heavy reading.

Jasmine Amanda wrote: "awesome review, jasmine. this is one heavy reading."

Thanks so much Amanda!! ♥♥ Yea it's definitely one of those heavy reads that takes some time to sink in ;)

message 50: by Andy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy Jasmine wrote: "Andy wrote: "Woot, great review! This book has been on my TBR list for months but comparing it to the feels and plot of SofT sold me! Thank you!"

Thanks so much Andy!! ♥♥ Same here! I had this for..."

BEETER than SofT??? Now I'm really excited, that's one of my very faves! Thanks lady!

« previous 1