Kokila Gupta's Reviews > Death in Holy Orders

Death in Holy Orders by P.D. James

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery, contemporary

How will you rate a mystery/crime fiction written beautifully but CLEARLY lacking in the motive for crime!!
It is written with such a sharp eye for detail that it felt like reading a novel of manners drenched in blood!

The narration is full,complete to perfection leaving nothing to imagination.

My MAJOR grievance the LACK of the motive for the murder(s)made me dislike (hate is too strong a word) it after I finished. It did not make sense!
And due to it , it felt like a waste of time .Grrrr...

Though despite my grumblings,it does offers vivid imagery of the bleak east coat ,of the small theological college with all prevailing silence unnerving at times, but otherwise providing repose from the charivari of town, beautiful and realistic characterisation (scored full here) and some lines worth reproducing-

"I can imitate you but I can't hope to emulate you"

"Unwelcome words gained in intensity if softly spoken"

Special Mention - I was intrigued by Dalgliesh.He did not speak more then two paragraphs in whole book but a poet and an intellectual, he seemed different. Though again for my irritation he took too long to solve the crime and that too without zest,charm or even wit. Hopes he gets better in the next.

My VERDICT
Leave it, if you are a veteran reader of detective fiction and looks for a taut plot with a crisp climax.
You may read if you like nuanced portrayal of cast,settings and situations in a narrative immersed in nature's symbolism.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in Holy Orders.

Started Reading