Rebecka's Reviews > Bliss

Bliss by Lisa Henry

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia-futuristic, read_in_english, m-m

Creepy utopian society where everyone is oh-so-happy? Yes, please. Because you know that some strange shit is going on somewhere in there. In Bliss it's more or less obvious from page one, and finding out what is really going on and who actually knows about it make for an interesting read. In short, I pretty much loved this up until the 81% mark. The story had a high entertainment value up until that point, featuring creepiness, uncomfortable scenes, suspicion and mixed feelings. A great mix.

Then the inevitable happened. I will conceal it behind a spoiler, but it's all pretty much obvious to anyone in the predictable world of MM, so there are no very specific spoilers anywhere here. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bliss.

August 18, 2014 – Started Reading
August 18, 2014 – Shelved
August 18, 2014 –
25.0% "Very promising."
August 19, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Kat (last edited Aug 20, 2014 02:02AM) (new) - added it

Kat Excellent review. I'm with you 100%. Almost destroying a perfectly interesting book with a tacked-on cliché ending is probably my biggest pet peeve, bigger than the excessive usage of endearments, ha!
I can only remember one Henry that had a somewhat ambiguous ending; The Last Rebellion (I'd been fretting about the outcome of that one and was so relieved that I almost cried ;p). Oh, and Another Man's Treasure is supposed to be HEA from Heaven free. But I haven't read that one.

message 2: by Rebecka (last edited Aug 20, 2014 11:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecka I'm going through some Lisa Henry works now actually. I've got another freebie on my Kindle that I'm trying this evening. She's always sooo promising, there's delicious uncertainty, and then I feel like she's all "*sigh* but the readers want a HEA" and just forces one into the story. Can't ebooks be more like those children's books where you can go different ways in the story? Like, all of a sudden there are two buttons in the ebook:

* Click here for the realistic ending.
* Click here if you're a romantic fool.

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat That's a brilliant idea actually! It reminds me of those Dungeons & Dragons pockets my dad used to read me from.:)

Vicky Great review. I love your version of how the book should end.

Rebecka Vicky wrote: "Great review. I love your version of how the book should end."

Thanks Vicky :)