Christina (Reading Extensively)'s Reviews > Fury of the Phoenix

Fury of the Phoenix by Cindy Pon

May 16, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, read2011, romance, ya

Fury of the Phoenix is told from the perspective of Ai Ling in the present and Zhong Ye in the past. This gives it a slightly different pacing from Silver Phoenix, which was more action packed with one danger following another. While there is still plenty of adventure here, the slower pace allows us to observe Ai Ling's struggles with past decisions, her worries over Chen Yong's safety and their relationship, and the worries she has over her own new abilities and memories. We also see Zhong Ye and Silver Phoenix in a new light as we discover their story through Zhong Ye's eyes. It gave his character more depth and helped me understand the events in Silver Phoenix more.

The one thing that disappointed me a little was the conclusion of the journey. It was all too easy for Chen Yong to find his father and he seemed to quick to forgive his abandonment. There is a great amount of detail about Xia and we are given a full picture of Ai Ling's world but the same cannot be said for Jiang Dao, the homeland of Chen Yong's father. I also didn't care for the two new characters introduced at that point. Thankfully, Ai Ling and Zhong Ye's story became the main focus again and I enjoyed the conclusion of their story. Overall I thought this was an excellent sequel. Ai Ling is a fantastic heroine and I will miss reading about her. I would suggest this series to fans of the Eon series by Alison Goodman.

Readalikes: Eon by Alison Goodman, Gateway by Sharon Shinn, Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey, the Glass series by Maria V. Snyder, Zoe Marriott

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury of the Phoenix.