Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook's Reviews > The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

May 16, 2010

bookshelves: women-s-memoires

Seven short stories told in warm and witty ways. Seldom do I lol at jokes, even when I find them funny, but this book had me laughing so. Endearing and funny, yet melancholic and real. In one of her stories her cartoonist beau aspires for his cartoons to be "beautiful and funny, yet sad and true" and that is how her book comes across.

I related so closely to her youth and vacationing, to her trip abroad with a boyfriend, to her father's passing away, to her relationship manner of being and her loyalty to friends and family and the "Golden Rules of dating" that my fingers itched to write another one of my short stories.

I marveled at the playfulness of her language and loved it. She has a different way of thinking than most writers I have read and it is so fresh and endearing. "You are the man I didn't know I could hope for" is one of her phrases and it is so lovely and so well stated it just took my breath away. When her boyfriend to be tells her that he is a goof-ball in search of truth she simply rearranges her reply to be that she is a truth-ball in search of goof, and it is simply so.

The little vocal sparring that her lover Archie and her have were also reminiscent of many similar little wars and word plays Malcolm and I have had. I just loved reading how they made each other spark and sometimes later returned the same phrase back to do a "Touche" that was perfect for the occasion.

Mere Mortals by David Ives. This was a play they went to see that had to do with mayflies. In it a couple of mayflies realize they have only one day to live while watching a Nature show, and they decide to mate before they die. As they leave the play house he replies "I want to mate with you and die". I will look for this play and read it. Sounded so comical and tragic!

This is a book worth reading again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing.