C.G. Drews's Reviews > Clockwork Princess

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: paranormal, read-2015, young-adult

So the first thing you need to know is I AM A GARGANTUANLY ENTHUSIASTIC CASSANDRA CLARE FAN. I am! I didn't love Clockwork Princess as much as I wanted to but, zomg, I still love the Shadowhunter world an astronomical amount. But all in all? The conclusion to this trilogy was a liiiiittle anti-climatic for me. BUT I HAVE BROKEN IT INTO LIST FORMAT FOR YOU. Because I'm kind like that.

STUFF I WAS NOT HAPPY WITH.

+ The love-triangle. I ain't convinced, folks. How can Tessa possibly love two guys equally?? But then Will loved Jem and awful lot, so I don't know why the three of them just didn't marry and call it a day. REGARDLESS! I didn't like the romance at all. I thought Jem pressured Tessa into marrying him and guilted her into loving him more. And I think Will was a selfish piece of burnt popcorn.
+ Tessa. UGH. TESSA. I know for certain Cassandra Clare can write AMAZING female characters who are strong and sassy or arty or intelligent. TESS WAS LIKE A PUMPKIN. She was as intersting as a blob. She constantly needed to be rescued. She was always fainting and flopping all over the place. She had no backbone and SHE WAS SO UNINTERESTING. I don't hate her! I don't! But seriously, Sophie and Charlotte and even Cecily (who is Will's sister and pops into this book) were all 1000 x more interesting than Tessa. I just particularly hated that Tessa was a damsel. Ergh.
+ There wasn't enough Magnus. FIFTY POINTS FROM GRYFFINDOR, TBH. I love Magnus. Every book needs be 90% Magnus. (Okay! Okay! I'm joking...but there still was so totally NOT enough Magnus in here).
+ It's too long. TOO LONG I SAY. There is a whole chunk of the book that's just about Will riding cross country and I nearly fell asleep, except if I did that and dropped the ginormous book on my face, I'd probably have gotten a concussion. Boo. There was so much fluffy around and not nearly enough action and I was bored a lot of the time.
+ I still can't tell Gabriel and Gideon apart. I have no idea which one was which. NO IDEA. I do like that they're much more complex characters now I just...srsly, which was which?
+ The villain wasn't even scary. He was more pathetic and not even in an endearing way. Die Mortaiman, and be quick and quite about it because no one cares.

....but but but, I did love SO MANY THINGS TOO. And I'm excited that this is my 11th Cassandra Clare novel too. Obsessed? YEAAAAH maybe a little.

STUFF I WAS EXTRAORIDINARILY PLEASED WITH:

+ FEMINSIM!!! Okay, I know I said Tessa is a squashed zucchini, but Charlotte MORE than makes up for it. Charlotte is still fighting for her power and things, but she's so awesome and still kind, but firm, and she's having a baby (!! afjdslkafd !!) and her relationship with Henry is just ADORABLE. And I love how the book continually empowers her though the world puts her down. SHE IS EPIC. (Why was this book not about Charlotte??? Srsly.)
+ Shadowhunters are just freakishly awesome. Though I hate all their rules and stupidity and when ever a guy is running things, everything is DUMB. BUT! I love their runes and powers and family-ties and fjasdkla it's just amazing. I love this world. I would read 9895290 billion books in it, and lucky me, Cassandra Clare is currently obliging.
+ I like that there were many answers in this one. YAY FOR ANSWERS! We find out more about Will's past, and also about WHO and WHAT Tessa really is, which was making me a curious cupcake. So I'm pleased.
+ There is still some ingenious funniness! I LAUGHED A LOT. I snortled out loud a few times too. Will isn't as funny as he used to be, buuuut...he's under a lot of stress, so I'LL GIVE HIM THAT. But there are still some great quips, particularly the Lightworm jests. hehe #insidejoke

Oh oh, but before I finish this book I have to say two things. ONE IS A SPOILER SO I'LL COVER IT.

ONE: I am not a happy bean because of the ending. I'm not. I think (view spoiler)
TWO: I still love this series and all of Cassandra Clare's books. I'm let down, I am. I didn't enjoy this book a lot and found myself skimming some of the boring travel scenes. (Thank goodness Henry invented the Portal.) And I will read anything she writes but yes...compared to the 5-star feels-fest that was City of Heavenly Fire, this conclusion fell a little flat for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Princess.

August 18, 2014 – Shelved
August 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2015 – Started Reading
August 8, 2015 –
page 100
17.64% "Aaaand award for the most USELESS person in a fight goes to Tessa. Yay."
August 8, 2015 –
page 303
53.44% "All Jem and Tessa do is faint and wait for Will to scoop them back up.\n I STILL SHIP WILL + MAGNUS."
August 8, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
August 8, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
August 8, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 8, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Sarai (new) - added it

Sarai Perez totally agree on that gabriel & gideon thing lol

Paige Agree with a lot of this, and I love the phrase "curious cupcake".

message 3: by ♥ Rebecca ♥ (last edited Aug 09, 2015 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥ Rebecca ♥ I don't agree with everything but I do agree that Will was a selfish piece of burned popcorn and I am so glad to hear you say that! :P and Magnus rules! My fave Cassie book is The Bane Chronicles.

rachel Naww, what a shame this wasn't more to your liking Cait! Gideon is one of my all-time favoruite characters so I wish you could have loved this more!! Have you read Magnus' separate series yet? I have a feeling you'll love it!

Veerle Jansen It's annoying because you're right! Every time you write a review of my favorite books you manage to make me like those books less. BECAUSE YOU'RE RIGHT EVERY FRIGGING TIME, like when you mention the things you didn't like I'm like 'wait, she's right about that, that really sucks' that's some real talent right there girl.

message 6: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Sarai: I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one! :D

@Paige: Everything is a food analogy in my reviews somehow. XD I DON'T EVEN KNOW. I AM JUST A FOODIE.

@Rebecca: YES MAGNUS IS JUST THE MOST GLITTERFUL WONDERFUL CREATURE OF THE UNIVERSE. I know he has his own book, but I could read like a 9 book series about him. :')

message 7: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Rachel: YES I LOVE MAGNUS' SERIES. I COULD READ LIKE 900 BOOKS ABOUT HIM THO. ONE WAS NOT ENOUGH. XD I did like the Lightworm (hehe, I can't resist) brothers, but they just totally blended for me. Omg, their letters about Charlotte's hats tho. BAHHAHA.

@Veerle: OMGGG I'M SORRY THO!! :D XDD I don't want you to like books less! I'm very picky aren't I?! But seriously *tackle hugs you* I'm glad you like my reviews. that totally makes my day. :')

Veerle Jansen Noooo omg it's okay, I forgive you! It's just that I always get so into the story that I don't even notice all the things you notice, and when I read your reviews I'm like 'Jeeeeeeez I missed all that shit, but now that she mentions it she's got a point' AND THATS A GOOD THING. ITS NOT YOUR FAULT IM TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS. So keep up the work of making me a bit more aware of the actual story :D

rachel @Cait Oh good! I still need to read it but I am holding off until I finish City of Heavenly Fire... yeah, I still haven't read it. I'm too freaked out to! I have't heard that many good things about it, other than "a good conclusion" and I don't want it end badly... I don't know exactly what it was but I just connected with Gideon... and the whole scone thing had me laughing and laughing! :P

message 10: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Veerle: hehe, awww!! XD I'M STILL KINDA FLATTERED, TBH. I do wish I could turn my forever-analysing-brain off sometimes and just get sucked into a story. Gah! *facepalm*

message 11: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Rachel: OMG WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!! CoHF is wonderful. The beginning is a bit slow, but then when it gets back to focusing on Clary/Jace/Simon/lightwoods/Magnus etc it's just absolutely perfect and exciting. ^-^ IT ENDS REALLY WELL TOO. THOUGH KINDA FEELS BREAKY.

rachel @Cait: Okay, okay. I need to do it. Soon. I honestly don't know what I am waiting for anymore... It will be done ASAP. Though I might try and reread this series first. We'll see.

message 13: by Vera (new) - added it

Vera Hey guys, i've finished the mortal instruments a little while ago, the series was amazing! I want to read more of cassandra clare but i dont really know where to start, any tips which books i should start with?

message 14: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Vera: I recommend this series! :) The first book is Clockwork Angel. Or there's a book of short stories about Magnus Bane called The Bane Chronicles.

message 15: by Vera (new) - added it

Vera @Cait: thnx! ^^

Hannah Brown Late to the party, but I agree with you about the spoiler-y bit! I was like, "Um, guys... Seriously?" *slaps with trouts* IT JUST FELT SO SELFISH AND WEIRD! The epilogue was my absolutely favourite bit though.

This was my 3rd Cassie Clare novel :P Buuuut I'm buying the entire TMI series tomorrow because they're £12 and I've set aside my entire reading list for October to read them XD

Lindsay I felt exactly the same way...

message 18: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Lindsay: Eeeep, glad I'm not alone then!

Sunniva To be honest I didn't really like the ending because I totally don't understand how you love two men equally at the same time. But I still respect their love because what do I even know about love. And I love all those Charlotte/Henry scenes so much, I really need more of those. My favorite scene of the book was the exploding cradle, and all those arguments over the name Buford. Those are really minor scenes but they're really cute.

Jessie Possibly the best review i've ever read hahaha

message 21: by Daisy (new)

Daisy I've read this book at least three times and I STILL cannot tell Gideon and Gabriel apart

Karen Terrific review.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I find your review so interesting partly because it shows how differently we all feel about books. I too am a huge Cassandra Clare/Shadowhunter world fan. But I just gave her newest book, Lord of Shadows two stars - and two stars is "it was okay" and for me it was not okay. So you giving Clockwork Princess three stars when I threw a whole box of stars at it is indeed interesting. I've read Clockwork Princess several times and have the audio book. But we are not all the same people when we read books even by a favorite author. I am sure that is as it should be. I loved the Will/Jem story although it made me cry. I loved Magnus in this book more than any of the others. I put a quote in my review of this book from him that explains why. I will definitely agree with one thing and that is Tessa. She never appealed to me and I thought maybe it was because her "talent" just kind of grosses me out. But she just did not have much personality to me either. I'm a Clary fan - I raise Australian Shepherds and my very special heart dog right now is registered as Clary Fray. I like your reviews, Cait, whether I agree with them or not - at least you tell WHY you did or did not like a book and I respect that a lot. It is pretty much what I want to know when I read a review.

message 24: by Nada (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nada Ashraf SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK DON'T READ FORWARD::-

The love triangle was one of my main issues with that book too. Honestly I looove the shadowhunter chronicles and I'm a huge fan BUT I think it's technically against human nature to love two guys at the same time. I mean you like one and love the other but you can't love them equally. NEVER EVER HEARD ABOUT SUCH A THING BEFORE. And i don't like messing with human nature. I understood you don't like Will but honestly he was my favourite character in this whole trilogy along with Cecily.

Tessa was probably one of the most annoying female characters I've ever had the misfortune to meet... Clary is awesome Emma is awesome but as in this series then yes I like Charlotte and Sophie more and Cecily obviously as I mentioned earlier but Tessa... I HATED how she was toying around with the guys seriously making out with Jem and then the next day kissing Will like... WHAT ONE EARTH TESSA SORTA DISGUSTING!!

I think she was meant to be wise and sorta sensible and yes I admit she was maybe more sensible than Clary but she never appealed to me I never liked her that much or had that much of a connection with her like if anything happened to her I don't think I would have shed a tear...

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Jem and Will were both there at the end, who would she have chosen. The ending was just too convenient for a fantastical love triangle. Seriously When Tessa and Will are married and she's standing there and thinking about Jem yuck!!! With your husband and thinking about another guy... ugh. AT THE SAME TIME... LOVING THEM BOTH NEVER HAPPENS SORRY!!

A big chunk was indeed about Will's rescue mission thing which you a lot could have been cut from. I just generally never like the infernal devices as much as her other books. Also yes mortmain was sort of a background or so I felt.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I think it's possible to love two guys at the same time. Not equally maybe (what is equal with love?) but the relationship between Will and Jem and Tessa was unique and I would not consider it impossible. It's not that unusual for two guys (or gals) to be in love with the same person but want that person to be happy so if they are friends with the other (like Will and Jem who are more than friends with the Parabatai between them) they want the two they love to be happy. Women and men both have been torn between two choices, both of whom they love. But those are all opinions and we all have them, right?

As I said above, I did not really care for Tessa but I loved the brother bond between Jem and Will and that made the books for me. The Mortal Instruments are my favorite too but these added to it especially with Magnus weaving in and out of both.

message 26: by Polly (new) - added it

Polly M I also wasn't really convinced with the triangle, it was obvious Tessa loved Will more so the writer trying to convince us with descriptions, not characters' actions, felt a bit lame. Also, yeah, the dying Jem proposing to Tessa and not seeing Will's obsession with her was very out-of-character, and Will and Tessa getting it on the VERY same day they learned Jem died... ugh, I know teens have hormones, but don't the have brains as well? It's the Victorian era, dammit! Jem not getting any POV bits is another big problem, we never know what happens in his head so we can never truly relate to him the same way we can relate to other characters - his sudden decision to join Silent Brothers was just out if nowhere, really.

Also, I totally agree about Tessa being the most boring female character in the book. We spend so much time in her head yet we still don't really see what she is like as a person. It's what I call the Blank Protagonist Curse. Charlotte and Sophie were more fun, and I'm infinitely pissed about Jessamine's death - she had a potential to be such an interesting character, yet turned out just a bitchy idiot. Boooring!

Anyway... I still cried like a baby after that epilogue. It made up for all the loose ends.

message 27: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Gregory I completely agree! I feel like she decided to skimp on the plot to make the love triangle the main focus...Disappointing because I loved the other two books!