Melanie's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

liked it
bookshelves: signed, read-in-2015, fae, fantasy, young-adult, romance, magic

43%. That's the percent in the book that you have to read through before it gets exciting. 43%.

If I knew this before, I probably would have passed on this series, but I pushed my way through it and did like this book overall. The basic story-line is that a young assassin, who was captured and put to work in the salt mines, is rescued by the crown prince of Adarlan to be his champion in a tournament. If she wins, she has to server his father for four years then she will receive a pardon for her crimes and her freedom. There will be thirteen weeks of tests and the final four champions will duel for the right to guard the king.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is the young assassin, Celaena. She is supposed to be this smart and cunning woman, but constantly does the stupidest things. The night before her first big test what does she do? She stays up until 4AM reading. Now, Maybe Maas wanted to have us connect with our MC. "Look how she's like you, staying up reading! Hehe". No, if I thought my life was going to be tested in the morning I would be doing some pull ups and making sure I got sleep. Things kept happening like this throughout the book, and it just infuriated me. Or like how she is supposed to be keeping her "Assassin of Adarlan" title undercover, but she says it out loud constantly. Then, how she can't stand someone beating her at a test when there isn't even a winner, only one loser. She would jeopardize everything, with the other champions figuring out her true identity, and for nothing. It just made me really dislike Celaena, and a book is very hard to enjoy when you can't sympathize with the MC.

I also loved many of the side characters, but two really stuck out. First, Nehemia, because she is a strong female MC, but sadly was stuck on the sidelines throughout the book. Well, until the end when it really counted. I loved her, and I wish she was our heroine. Next is Elena, because she is the reason that the book picks up at 43%. Every part of this book I loved Elena was a part of it.

I loved the map and references to all the different places. I wish we could learn more about Nehemia's home, Banjali, and the place Chaol grew up in, Ainelle. I wanted to know so much more about Ainelle warriors vs. the people of White Fang Mountain. So many breadcrumbs that I really hope Maas develops upon.

A warning for a lot of my friends who I know hates this: There is a love triangle! I liked both men while reading. Dorian, The Prince, well, because he's a prince and actually tries for her adoration. Then Chaol, who is the Captain of the Guard and Celaena's trainer, because he has her best intentions at heart and does not try for her. Through the book I felt like they were even (even with it was obvious Calaena did not feel this way), but in the end Chaol comes up leaps and bounds ahead of Dorian. (view spoiler)

I loved the hint of faeries through this book. I actually just finished Maas' other series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, which had a full faerie story-line and I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

August 17, 2014 – Shelved
August 17, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 13, 2015 – Started Reading
May 14, 2015 –
20.0% "The week I'm having...\n "
May 16, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 5, 2015 – Shelved as: signed
November 17, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
November 17, 2015 – Shelved as: fae
January 7, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 9, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 24, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
September 11, 2016 – Shelved as: magic

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

MC trying to be discreet assassin: https://youtu.be/9HilyOLWzrM

Penny I think that the main problem of this book was Celaena. It is difficult to get into a book when the MC is completely unbelievable. She is not consistent with what we are told about her and thus the book falls.

Melanie Penny wrote: "I think that the main problem of this book was Celaena. It is difficult to get into a book when the MC is completely unbelievable. She is not consistent with what we are told about her and thus the..."

I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this Penny, but I agree completely!

Melanie Mister wrote: "MC trying to be discreet assassin: https://youtu.be/9HilyOLWzrM"

LOL <3.

Samantha Sophia Thanks for this, I’m at 24% and I’m literally dying. A part of my joy has been assassinated by this basic main character. I’m pretty sure I could beat her in a fight.