Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Air

Air by Geoff Ryman

May 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia, leisure, political, science-fiction, io9-top-20

This isn't the kind of book I'm used to reading. It wasn't exactly slow-paced, per se, but it also wasn't terribly plot driven. The story takes place in roughly 2020, and the titular substance is a sort of mind-invading Internet. The inhabitants of a small village in the fictional country of Karzistan have to deal with the way this, and other technologies, affect their lives and relationships. There is some reference to a "digital divide," although that phrase isn't used in the book, and other mention of issues that come with technology. If that had been a more prevalent part of the story I think I would have liked it better. The book was really about the characters and I feel like the various technological issues the author touched on rarely were at the forefront of the story. Although I was never bored while reading, I was frustrated at how long it was taking me to read it and how small the print and margins were. It was an interesting story, but probably not something I would have picked up on my own were I not attempting to read through io9's top 20 science fiction books of the decade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Air.