Nanako's Reviews > This Is Not a Writing Manual: Notes for the Young Writer in the Real World

This Is Not a Writing Manual by Kerri  Majors

U 50x66

One day, I was browsing my town's library page for any news about anything interesting going on in the book world, events happening at the library, new books, etc. I stumbled across a notice that said that Kerri Majors was going to be at the library that day to speak about her book, This Is Not A Writing Manual. I had never heard of her or her book, so after a ten minute quick research of her on the internet, I grabbed my notebook, library card, told my mom I was going to something that'll make me a better writer, and left to jog to the library.
Now, at the library, Ms.Majors gave a wonderfully entertaining little talk about her book, and it was then that I realized that I forgot to bring something- money. She was selling her book there, and was signing them. After hearing her talk, I was really bummed about not being able to buy one with her signature in it. When question time was over, and she finished signing books, I gathered my courage and went to talk to her. I shyly introduced myself, and with shaking hands, told her I want to be an author one day. I remember how she smiled at me kindly, and told me to keep on doing my thing, and someday I'll reach my goal. I left the library that day with an intense desire to read her book and new hope that maybe, just maybe, I can be like her in the future.

This Is Not a Writing Manual went on my long list of books I need to read.
Months passed.
I asked my parents if they could buy the book for me and they said: "yeah, sure."
Nothing happened.
Months passed.

THEN finally my birthday came and my parents asked me what I wanted. Of course, the only answer was: Books. (I mean, what else could I possibly want?) I had already bought or read a lot of the books on that long, never-ending list, so This Is Not a Writing Manual had become the first one on that list! (Yay!)
They bought it, I got it, my parents were happy that I only ever want books for my birthday or christmas, and yeah. I read it.

I don't know why it took me so long to actually get to the reviewing part but here it is:

I truly enjoyed reading this book! Writing and becoming a published author was just sort of an unclear, foggy dream up until I finished this book. To be honest, I sort of got a little scared after reading this, because now the dream is so real, and no longer a dream but a goal. A goal that seems impossible now, but a goal that I've never wanted to reach for so much in my life.
The narrator's tone is light, fun, and easy to go along with. You have to be prepared for the harsh realities that are weaved in this book, but they're worth more facing now than later.

I recommend this book to anyone who has even had the slightest thought of becoming an author in the future!

-Nanako

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Not a Writing Manual.

Started Reading