Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Some books make you confused. Conflicted. Did you really like them? Can you recommend them? Would you read them again?

And you sigh, sigh, sigh.

The Knife of Never Letting Go is not this kind of book. Hey, I'm not afraid to say that it was insta-love for me.

☛ Does it make me a NA heroine? You tell me : I read 3 or 4 pages and I was like, "Oh. My. I'm gonna love this book!"

Yep. But perhaps you want to know why? How could I move from "pretty rational reader" (I think. I hope. Oh, shut up) to "bad romance heroin" (freaking insta-love, I said) so quickly?

The writing. I must admit, I was a little worried when I opened this book. I mean, what could be more difficult to read for a French reader than slang? I have this horrible memory of being totally lost when I read this awful book, you know, Inescapable. OMG THAT MESS. Long story short : it was horrible there was a character that I could not understand at all because of his accent, and it was SO. FUCKING. ANNOYING. Anyway - Given the clichés and other creepy stalkers' fantasies, we parted ways quickly. I am not (always) a masochist

But this one? I wanted to enjoy it. And thanks to the perfect writing, that was the case. All the sentences are fluid, and even if I know it annoyed some readers, I loved the rhythm and the orality of Todd's voice. I loved the repetitions. Patrick Ness took a risk, but it was splendidly executed.

There's just no such thing as silence. Not here, not nowhere. Not when yer asleep, not when yer by yerself, never.
I am Todd Hewitt, I think to myself with eyes closed. I am twelve years old and twelve months old. I live in Prentisstown on New World. I will be a man in one month's time exactly.

*whisper* I must confess that I often talk to my books. Yeah, I know, they're not really alive and all that stuff. But you know? My weird habit makes me enjoy every tiny wink the narrator directs to the reader (except if I HATE that narrator, but it's a story for another day *cough* The Player and the Pixie *cough*).

In The Knife of Never Letting Go, all these "You see?" are well used.

Perhaps I answered sometimes. Okay, Always. But Todd is so alone, I was sorry for him, OKAY?!

Now, this structure. The chapters are short. And that's completely subjective, but I love when a book is organized that way, even though I barely can explain why. It increases the rhythm, maybe? HUH. Moving on.

Todd and Viola.

Oh, you, little boy who can't kill and can't think straight with all that noise and feels so lonely, you've won me from the first page (insta-love, remember?). What can I say? I loved Todd. Really. Okay, he can't stop complaining sometimes but hey! He's just a kid who lives in a rude rude world, trying to go on, and go on, to find hope even if it seems more impossible than a child's dream. Throughout the story, we have the chance to be witnesses while he's growing up, becoming a man of whom we can be proud. All of his feelings seem so real, so understandable, I couldn't help but feel my heart actually ache for him. I cared about him, and above that, I was there, with him, and with Viola as well.

Viola, who's exactly how I like my heroines : smart, loyal, outspoken. I couldn't choose a better partner in crime for Todd. (view spoiler).

I lean down again and (shut up) I cry, I cry, I'm crying but it has to pass cuz I have to figure it out, I have to figure it out, it's down to me, there's only me, I have to find a way, I have to save her, I have to save- ❞

Manchee. This dog is awesome, RIGHT?

Ready, friend?" I say.
"Weddy, Thawd!

Okay. Maybe, I mean maybe I'm a sucker for little pets, but I couldn't avoid to say "Good boy!" all the time. You know the locution, "a dog is man's best friend"? That says it all. In the beginning of the book, we're stuck with Todd's opinion, which is basically that his dog is stupid. Freaking dumb. He considers that Manchee is useless, and it took me some chapters, I must admit (Sorry sorry Manchee), but there was a moment I thought, "Listen Todd, you're great, but you're fucking WRONG".

Because this dog? He's loyal and definitively not a coward. A MEDAL FOR MANCHEE. WHO'S ON?

To be short : I loved this dog, I often wanted to heal him and pat him and say him that he was a wonderful dog. Yes. I'm not exaggerating. At all.

He's a good bloody dog, have I said that?

(view spoiler)

And who doesn't want to understand his dog's barks? I'm asking, WHO? Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my cat always says "Food", "Mice", "Bird", and "Here's a gift", and "That's mine", "That's mine", "That's mine", "That's mine", "That's mine". Cats.

*roll eyes*

The plot and the world building. When I started The knife of Never letting go, I haven't a damn clue what the world created by Patrick Ness was. Maybe that's why I felt more and more amazed as I went along in my reading. Honestly? That's brilliant. The New World is complex, fearsome and yes, there is a real plot here. I know, I know. I'm excited too. I don't want to spoil you, so the only thing I'll say it's this : Read this book, but plan enough free time, because you won't be able to put it down until the end.

But I must complain : what was that freaking ending? Do you know we, readers, have to work and to actually sleep? I'm speechless right now. That was brilliant, really, and blew me away because I was too smug, I thought I could see where the story went, but I was far away from the true. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and I admire Patrick Ness for this but wow. That was rude.

Todd and Viola's story was excruciating, mind-blowing, even hard to stand at some point, yet filled with such gems of awesomeness I often find myself thinking about it, reliving it -

Here's a book which moved me in a way no other could.

*picking The Ask and the Answer from my bookcase*

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

Quotes Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Liked

Patrick Ness
“The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.
About anything.
"Need a poo, Todd."
"Shutup, Manchee."
"Poo. Poo, Todd."
"I said shut it.”
Patrick Ness, The Knife of Never Letting Go

Patrick Ness
“You can't say everything, so you don't say nothing.”
Patrick Ness, The Knife of Never Letting Go

August 16, 2014 – Shelved
September 5, 2014 – Started Reading
September 5, 2014 –
0.0% "That's it. I'm finally reading this book. I must tell that I've huge expectations."
September 6, 2014 –
9.0% "Oh. My. *excited* Do you know this feeling, the sense of euphoria we feel when we begin a book which is about to become a favorite? This is it"
page 114
23.8% "Arg. I have to stop my reading for a few hours but wow. This book is just awesome."
page 290
60.54% "Ow, Todd?I'm really exhausted but I just can't put down this book. I love the writing, love the characters, even Manchee :) and the plot is fascinating. Luckily I have plenty of coffee ;)"
September 6, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)

message 1: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Glad you like it!Does it mean I should buy this one ?

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Yes. Definitively yes . I can't wait to continue (currently buying food, arg)

message 3: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Oh.My.God. You're totally crazy!5am, seriously?!Amazing review as always!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Thanks! It's not my fault, I just couldn't put it down... (si je m'écoutais, je lirais la suite tout de suite, mais j'ai du travail^^)

message 5: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Alienortothemoon wrote: "Thanks! It's not my fault, I just couldn't put it down... (si je m'écoutais, je lirais la suite tout de suite, mais j'ai du travail^^)"

Tu seras ravie d'apprendre que ta chronique m'a fait craquer... Le livre est en chemin vers ma boite au lettre!Bon courage pour le taf!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Ouiiiii, il me tarde qu'on puisse en parler =D - Et merci, je suis en train de préparer ma semaine, et avec un peu de chance, j'aurai fini avant ce soir (on peut rêver, hein^^).

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Oh mah Gaaaaahhhddd FANTABULOUS REVIEW!!!!! I am SO glad you loved this as much as I Did!!! NO ONE GETS IT!!!!!!!!

Aaaaah so excited for you to read all threeeeee-I was a MESS. Oh, and awesome use of the (shut up).... ;) I use it way too much lol

message 8: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Sep 08, 2014 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Thanks!!!!! Happy you liked my review! I really LOVE this book, I began the second yesterday and I HAVE TO finish it tonight (here's 5 p.m)- I'm so overwhelmed with this one : angry at several characters who I HATE, seriously, and OMG so sad all the freaking time!!

These books make me feel so much strong feelings! I was thinking of it all day,it's crazy, isn't it? I was like, "Where is Todd?"

Harriet ~ bookworm Amazing review! So pleased you enjoyed this so much :)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Thanks!! I loved it, really. It was painful, but I loved it, I loved Todd, I loved Manchee - well, I'm speechless^^

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, wonderful and informative review!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Thanks ♥ I loved this book so much that I really enjoyed writing this review ^^

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Wonderful review! Todd's voice was lovely and unique and Manchee is such a loyal dog! So happy you enjoyed! shut up, just shut up :D

message 14: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Oct 12, 2014 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Jen wrote: "Wonderful review! Todd's voice was lovely and unique and Manchee is such a loyal dog! So happy you enjoyed! shut up, just shut up :D"

Thank you thank you Jen!! Ow Todd! - This book is probably my favorite of the year - I intend to re read it in december with some others to decide but wow, I loved it so so much!!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ EEEP!!!! I SUPPORT THIS CHOICE!!! TOOODDDDDDDD...and Manchee...♥

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "EEEP!!!! I SUPPORT THIS CHOICE!!! TOOODDDDDDDD...and Manchee...♥"

Love <3 <3 <3 THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!

message 17: by Lola (new)

Lola I just love your reviews!!! hahah, I cannot wait to (try to) uncover that world-building! Sounds amazing! Definitely going on my wishlist! Fab review, Anna!!

message 18: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Dec 16, 2014 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Oh thank you so much Lola!! I hope you'll love it, I obviously did - A LOT, but I must warn you, that's harsh. Ethically unsure (that's what I adored in the whole series) - I'm not sure you would like it actually (if I take a look at your books :)

message 19: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick awesome review friend.I never get tired of your reviews<3

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Etnik wrote: "awesome review friend.I never get tired of your reviews<3"

Aww that's so sweet! Thank you friend!

message 21: by Lola (new)

Lola Well, I do like stepping out of my comfort zone sometimes x) Who knows, maybe I'll LOVE? Yeah...have more faith in me, girl!!!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lola wrote: "Well, I do like stepping out of my comfort zone sometimes x) Who knows, maybe I'll LOVE? Yeah...have more faith in me, girl!!!"

But I HOPE you'll love!! I always prefer to be the most honest possible with the books I love - and I ADORED those ones ♥♥ Let me know if you try it!

message 23: by Rox (new) - added it

Rox I talk to my books too!!! glad I'm not the only one :))

jasmine this book was one of my favorite books of all time. todd and viola's relationship was beautifully written.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ breanna wrote: "this book was one of my favorite books of all time. todd and viola's relationship was beautifully written."

Right? I'm so glad to reread it :D I'm sure it'll be even better the second time :D

Aj the Ravenous Reader Oh my! This is one the most awesome, completest reviews I've read, Anna. This is fantastic. Adding this to my tbr.^^

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Oh my! This is one the most awesome, completest reviews I've read, Anna. This is fantastic. Adding this to my tbr.^^"

Awww thank you!!! I adored this book and I'm so glad to reread it :D

Robin (Bridge Four) This is such a freaking good series. I read it last year and absolutely loved it.

Robin (Bridge Four) Manchee . This dog is awesome, right?

O.o Manchee. I loved him so much (view spoiler)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Robin wrote: "Manchee . This dog is awesome, right?

O.o Manchee. I loved him so much [spoilers removed]"

IKR?! Manchee is such an awesome dog. I love these books so much!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ AGH! Yay Anna-Tooooooddddddd the best boy narrator ever ha We'll re read this together someday since we adore it so much :))))

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "AGH! Yay Anna-Tooooooddddddd the best boy narrator ever ha We'll re read this together someday since we adore it so much :))))"

Oh yes we will!!! I really need that today!

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠ wrote: "Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "AGH! Yay Anna-Tooooooddddddd the best boy narrator ever ha We'll re read this together someday since we adore it so much :))))"

Oh yes we will!!! I really need that ..."

TODD HEWITT!!! poo Todd. poo.

Lizet Your review is really beautiful Anna! :)

I've been wanting to read this trilogy for ages and I don't know why I haven't yet. But I'll follow your recommendation and read it when I can finally have some free time :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lizet wrote: "Your review is really beautiful Anna! :)

Thank you so much, Lizet! Oh yes you should, that's amazing <3

Melissa (Ever So Mela) hmmmm. Now I must read this sooner

message 37: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Excellent review, Alienor ;)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Melissa (Ever So Mela) wrote: "hmmmm. Now I must read this sooner"

YEAHHHH!!!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Alejandro wrote: "Excellent review, Alienor ;)"

Thank you so much, Alejandro!

message 40: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Lovely review, Anna!
I'm not afraid to say that it was insta-love for me.
☛ Does it make me a book-slut?

LOL. I can usually tell from the very first chapter whether I'm going to love a book or not. Guess that makes me a fellow book-slut. :>

I've actually had this on my shelf for over a year, but avoided reading it because it didn't sound like my kind of book and I have the Swedish version (hate reading in my native tongue). Now this looks really interesting, and I have to get to it sometime!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Sarah wrote: "Lovely review, Anna!
I'm not afraid to say that it was insta-love for me.
☛ Does it make me a book-slut?

Thank youu Sarah! Oh, I hope your swedish version will be good but I must warn you that the French one is awful :/ I had bought it for my BF who doesn't read in English and OMG. The translation was childish and sometimes just plain wrong. Ugh.

message 42: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I read in Swedish every once in a while to keep my grammar from falling flat, but I don't enjoy it. Translations can be bloody awful, and I agree that the narrator's voice often sounds different or childish.
It also sucks because there are no books originally written in Swedish that interest me, so I usually read in English. >:

message 43: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. You're all allying yourselves against me? Ain't ya? You're all making me want to read. This No. But no. I Must. Contain. Myself. >.< Really, I MUST contain myself. But oh well, there goes another book in my vacation to-read list... Fantastic review. I'm finding it REALLY hard to resist.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Vane wrote: "You're all allying yourselves against me? Ain't ya? You're all making me want to read. This No. But no. I Must. Contain. Myself. >.< Really, I MUST contain myself. But oh well, there goes another ..."

Oh YES. Read it ♥ Todd's story is so amazing and heartbreaking ♥ Thank you so much!!

message 45: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Omg this book!!!! Gosh, I was so young when I read it… it feels like it's been a trillion years (o_0) Awesome review! You've convinced me to reread it :)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie wrote: "Omg this book!!!! Gosh, I was so young when I read it… it feels like it's been a trillion years (o_0) Awesome review! You've convinced me to reread it :)"

Thank you Mia!!! God, I don't even know how many times I read it now >.< But always so wonderful <3

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ OMG. You represented our boy so well OMG TODDDDDD HEWITT!!!! AND WE RUN...RUN RUN RUN!!!!!! Awwww

message 48: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited May 20, 2016 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake) wrote: "OMG. You represented our boy so well OMG TODDDDDD HEWITT!!!! AND WE RUN...RUN RUN RUN!!!!!! Awwww"

TODD!!!! Our first fangirling together! Wow Almost 2 years ago??? O_o BOY DO WE RUN aww <3

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Gah, I'm getting the entire trilogy delivered to my house tomorrow, if all goes well! I have to stop myself from reading it immediately, because I'm buddy reading the entire trilogy, but this makes me so excited! :D Great review!

Also, I like short chapters, too. If a chapter's long, the more likely I'll forget information presented to me and then my mind will wander. XD

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Mikaela wrote: "Gah, I'm getting the entire trilogy delivered to my house tomorrow, if all goes well! I have to stop myself from reading it immediately, because I'm buddy reading the entire trilogy, but this makes..."

YAY!!! I hope you'll enjoy it, Mikaela :D This series is really harsh sometimes but fabulous all the same (for me anyway). Also, TODD! Love.

« previous 1