Spencer's Reviews > Hellhound on His Trail: The Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the International Hunt for His Assassin

Hellhound on His Trail by Hampton Sides

May 15, 2010

bookshelves: history
Read in May, 2010

Kathy and I went to hear the author give an interview about this book at Minnesota Public Radio last Monday. It was a great event about a fascinating topic, and it was really fun to meet the author. This book covers the lead up to the Martin Luther King Jr. assassination and the far-reaching hunt for James Earl Ray afterwards. This is a fascinating, fast-paced story and I couldn't put this book down. Starting with the individual stories of MLK and Ray, the narrative continues to that fateful day in April 1968 when their paths came crashing together at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis. Immediately after J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI, who had tried desperately to stop MLK before the murder, switched to leading a manhunt that went from LA to Atlanta, and to Toronto, Lisbon and London, in order to apprehend Ray aka Eric Galt aka Ramon Sneyd aka a million other names. Importantly, this book stuck to verifiable facts, rather than get buried in unfounded conspiracy theories. I would highly recommend this book (as well as Sides' previous book "Ghost Soldiers" about a mission to rescue survivors of the Bataan death march in WWII). Fascinating story!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellhound on His Trail.

Sara "unfound conspiracy theories"... oh spencer, we need to discuss that statement! but i've decided to read this book anyway, and i'll let you know what i think.