Arlene's Reviews > The Living

The Living by Matt de la Pena

Fast paced page turner. Easy to read and I enjoyed every minute of it. This is a young, young adult story IMO.

Shy is a HS kid who takes a summer job on a cruise ship to try to make some extra money to help his family - his single mother, sister, and nephew. They just lost their grandmother unexpectedly to a rare disease moving up the coastline and Shy doesn't like the idea of being away from his family. But the money is good and he won't be gone too long ... or so he thinks.

Shy's voice is strong and he is so likable that he's easy to relate to even if I didn't grow in Otay Mesa, CA near the Mexico border. I couldn't help but root for Shy and wished all the challenges he kept facing would just stop and the world would give him a break! It doesn't. He has to deal with the death of his grandmother, witnessing a suicide, surviving a tsunami out at sea, being shipped wreaked and much, much more.

If there's one thing Shy learns about himself through these harrowing experiences, it's that he's a survivor with a little bit of luck on his side. I didn't want the story to end when it did. There's too much left unknown - too many questions. I'm ready for the next book in this series to see what Shy finds when he returns to a home destroyed by the biggest earthquake on record and a contagious disease attacking residents up and down the West Coast.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Living.

August 16, 2014 – Shelved