Dem's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

bookshelves: recommended

Everything I never told you is the debut novel by Celeste Ng and tells a powerful and yet quiet stroy about the Lee family who are coming to terms with losing their teenage daughter.

The story is beautifully told and the prose has an eloquence to it that you only come across once in awhile in novels.
This is not only the story of a Chinese-American family losing a teenage daughter, it is a story of racism, of a family trying to fit into a community and a community that fails to see a family in crises and above all a family who fail to communicate with each other.

I really enjoyed this novel, the characters are beautifully written and the plot is imaginative and well crafted.
I loved how each member of the family tells their story, and in doing so we learn about their loves, their fears and their dreams. There were times in the novel when I just felt such sadness at the situations portrayed and anger at the acts of racism. You feel you want to throw your arms around the Lee family and protect them.
I love when an author can make a reader feel like that and Celeste Ng ticks all the boxes for me.

I think this book will appeal to many readers and would make a good discussion book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

August 16, 2014 – Shelved
September 3, 2014 – Started Reading
September 6, 2014 –
page 100
April 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Elyse Walters I hope you like this little book. I thought the writing was wonderful. (and such an interesting 'feel' to this book)

message 2: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thanks Elyse, hoping to get more time tonight to read.

Elyse Walters Me too... I'm by the pool now ...hosting our community Thursday event.

Carmen Sounds good. It's on my to-read list!

message 5: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Carmen wrote: "Sounds good. It's on my to-read list!"

Hope you enjoy it Carmen.

message 6: by Elyse (last edited Sep 10, 2014 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elyse Walters *Dem*: Thank you for your generous perfect articulation of this book. When I want to tell other friends about this book -I plan to direct them to your review.
You're a lovely writer yourself!

You brought me right back into the novel --(the emotions also)

Everything you wrote touched me.

I want to underline something you said which is absolutely acute:
"The story is beautifully told and the prose has an eloquence to it that you only come across ONCE IN AWHILE in novels".

Thanks again for the pleasure of 'your gift'.

message 7: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thank you Elyse. You are too kind. This would make a great book club read and I will be putting it in the pot at next book club meeting. I think it deserves a round the table discussion.

Elyse Walters I agree! This book 'does' deserve a table discussion. I'm going to recommend it to a few other woman (I think we might even 'both' know) in this GR's community.

message 9: by Angela M (last edited Sep 10, 2014 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela M Thanks for this , Dem. I'm looking forward to it .

message 10: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Great review, Dem!! I've moved it up in my queue!

Connie Good review...this is next on my pile.

Carol Great review, Dem. You've piqued my interest and I've added this one to my queue.

message 13: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Thanks Guys, will look forward to your reviews on this one.

Diane S ☔ So glad you liked this one. Good review.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Thanks Dem - sounds like one for the list! :)

Karen I just finished it tonight, I agree on how it would be so good for discussion, great review!!

message 17: by Nanc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nanc Van Can't wait for my book group, so much depth for real conversations

message 18: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Oh would really love a book group discussion on this one.

Carmen Great review, Dem. I finally ended up reading this and enjoyed it much less than you did, but I loved hearing your thoughts!

message 20: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Lol! Just read your review Carmen and as always it is so well written and so witty. I think I read a different book than you :-) :-)

Carmen LOL Funny how that happens sometimes!~