Lola 's Reviews > The Dark World

The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz

did not like it
bookshelves: demons, death, teen-romance, boring, action, paranormal, ghosts
Recommended for: Not recommended.

While I enjoyed Spellbound by the same author, this was just...one of the worst books I've read this year.

I’m a champion eye roller. I could go Olympic level with my talent.

description

Obviously, I had a problem with the main character. She sounded to me so arrogant and had, except for being a good friend, nothing I would enjoy in a main character or character at all. You may find her qualities and maybe I could too, if I overcome this annoyance I have…I mean had (let’s not keep a grudge here) toward her, but I’m absolutely not interested in doing that.

Another thing I didn’t like about her is that she is so NEGATIVE. Proof:
There was no point in getting my hopes up. I was destined to check ''forever alone'' under my relationship status for the rest of my life.

Seriously?! You’re young, how can you talk like that? She hasn’t even had her heart broken so there is no point and no excuses for her to say things like that. It was just so eye roll-worthy.

Since we’re at it, here is another example of how what Paige says doesn’t make sense at all. I can’t believe she said this:
I’d kept my long dark hair pulled in front of my face, trying to hide, trying to not make eye contact with anyone as they whispered stories of my imagined conversations.(Really? You think you’re ALWAYS the center of attention, Paige? *rolls eyes*)Well, if I was also going to be considered a freak show at my new school, I might as well own it.

I.Can’t.Believe.She.Said.That.

I promise I stop criticizing her after this:
''Everything’s fine,'' I interrupted him, agitated. ''I just finished a week of midterms, Dad. What do you want from me, jazz hands? Show me someone who gets thrilled about midterms and I’ll show you a masochist.''

What the…? It doesn’t even make sense! And how can she talk like that to one of her parents? I may not ALWAYS be an angel with mines but I would never ever say something like that.

Also, the writing wasn’t appealing to me at all. I felt like the author was concentrating too much on descriptions or emotions and as well as writing things that weren’t necessary at all. Plus, some sentences were really weird and took me some time to comprehend. For example:
I kicked a coffee-stained paper cup into the gutter, where it rested on top of a stubborn mound of soot-covered snow that refused to melt.

Are things like that really important for us to know?

So yeah, I didn’t enjoy myself at all. I did skim to be honest but only because I promised myself I wouldn’t DNF a book this month. Although, if I hadn't challenged myself that way, I, without any doubt, would have DNFed this story at 30%.

If the main character sounds to you like one you would enjoy reading about, then I would say go for it, you will probably enjoy this book. At least much much more than I did (since 10% is easy to beat.) Yes, I did enjoy 10% of the book. I liked the scenes in which Paige and her ghost friend, Dottie, talked to each other, before all the drama started, but that’s a very small part of the book.

PS. The romance: predictable + cheesy + very far into the story= KILL ME NOW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark World.

August 14, 2014 – Started Reading
August 14, 2014 – Shelved
August 14, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

message 1: by haley (last edited Aug 14, 2014 08:59PM) (new)

haley Sorry you didn't like this one, Lola. Can't wait for your review!

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris I guess I should be happy that NetGalley didn't send me this one. Would have served me right for requesting a book because the girl on the cover looked like Jessica Alba.

message 3: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Bummer! :(

Lola Haley wrote: "Sorry you didn't like this one, Lola. Can't wait for your review!"

Thanks! :) I hated it, blaaah.

Lola Chris wrote: "I guess I should be happy that NetGalley didn't send me this one. Would have served me right for requesting a book because the girl on the cover looked like Jessica Alba."

You should be very very happy. ;) You don't like Jessica Alba? I love Jessica Alba.

Lola Alejandro wrote: "Bummer! :("

message 7: by haley (new)

haley Awesome review, Lola, as always :)

Lola Thank you, Haley! :D

message 9: by Hershey (new)

Hershey Sorry this didn't work out for ya! Hope your next read is better! Nice review, Lola :)

Lola Thank you very much, Hershey! MWAH! xx

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Sorry this one missed the mark completely Lola! = S

Lola Thanks a lot, Sue! It was so bad! xd

message 13: by Sakina (new)

Sakina Great review! The cover and the title seemed interesting but after your review I am not going to waste my time on this one...

Lola Thank you! :) I thought so too even though I had some doubts; the reviews were very mixed! Time is precious, so no need to read this book indeed. ;)

message 15: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Sounds like this one was way off, hope the next is on point.xo

Lola Yeaah it was. :/ Thank you Eliza! xx

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Great review, dollface! xoxo

Lola Thanks, love! xx

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘ Great honest review, Lola! Sorry this was a bust. :(

message 20: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Sorry it was a bummer! Good review, though.

Lola Penelope wrote: "Great honest review, Lola! Sorry this was a bust. :("

Thank you, Penelope. No worries, at least I get to warn people, lol. ;)

Lola Lucia wrote: "Sorry it was a bummer! Good review, though."

Thank you, Lucia! Won't read the sequel. Ever. HA.

message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz Fantastic review! Sorry it didn't work for you! ;)

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Excellent review Lola! Hope your next one is a winner!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing) If I talked to my parents like that, I would be homeless before I completed the sentence -.-;

message 27: by Exina (new)

Exina Oh, honey, sorry about this one! Hope your next read is awesome! :)

Lola Liz wrote: "Fantastic review! Sorry it didn't work for you! ;)"

Thank you!! xx

Lola Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Excellent review Lola! Hope your next one is a winner!"

Thanks Feifei! :D

Lola Kat Stark wrote: "LOL, awesome review, but actually...I think I would like this one. Sorry it wasn't your cup!!"

REALLY? Oh. Well. Go for it. ;) And thank you!

Lola YA Bookaholic wrote: "If I talked to my parents like that, I would be homeless before I completed the sentence -.-;"

ME TOO. I WOULDDN'T EVEN DARE.

Lola Exina wrote: "Oh, honey, sorry about this one! Hope your next read is awesome! :)"

Thanks love! xx

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

message 34: by *~*Btissame*❤* (new)

*~*Btissame*❤* Haha LOVED your review :D you're damn awesome xx

Lola Sanae wrote: "I'm so so sorry you didn't like it, but OMG I LOVED YOUR REVIEW!! It's out of your misery i get to have a laugh(i'm SO mean,i know) :p xoxoxo"

Hahahahah, I'm glad you enjoyed it. XD It's okaaay, and I feel honored to make you laugh lol. xx

Lola *~*Btissame*^^* wrote: "Haha LOVED your review :D you're damn awesome xx"

Awww thanks! Poor author though...if she reads this. Although I can't help how I feel!xd
xx

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog You are not having luck lately, Lola!!
I hope your next read is much better!
xoxoxo

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Great review ...

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist What a sucky & weird main character O.O! Sorry the book didn't work out for you Lola, but I can definitely see why. Great review!

Lola Patty❤️❤️Belongs To❤️Kellan Kyle❤️AND❤️Jesse Ward❤️❤️ wrote: "You are not having luck lately, Lola!!
I hope your next read is much better!
xoxoxo"

Thanks Patty!! :)

Lola *P*u*r*p*l*e* wrote: "What a sucky & weird main character O.O! Sorry the book didn't work out for you Lola, but I can definitely see why. Great review!"

Right? Huh, she was awful!! Thank you! xx

message 42: by Didi (new)

Didi Lol! Great, honest review Lola! ;)

Lola HA, yeah...lol indeed.
Thanks Didi! :)

Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ Love your review, hun :) Too bad the book didn't work.. :/

Lola Yeah :P Thanks love! xx

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ Wonderful review, Lola! Cheesy books are super hard for me too!

Lola Yeah, you just want to slap the characters...lol.
Thank you!

message 48: by Mysza (new)

Mysza Sorry it was bad Lola! Great honest review!

Lola Thank you, Mysza!! It was so eye roll-worthy!! xd