Kathryn's Reviews > The Uncommon Reader

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett

Dec 11, 2007

Read in May, 2008

A book in which one learns the joys of reading is destined to have some charm for me--even better that the budding bibliophile resides in England--and in Windsor Castle, no less! Yes, it was quite fun to read about present-day Queen Elizabeth and her awakening to the wonderful world of literature--and, indeed, the way in which opening one's eyes to literature helps one see the real world more clearly.

I liked Bennett'scharacterizations and wit, though sometimes the prose got a bit sparse for my taste. Also, sometimes things seemed a bit choppy, but that may be my fault because it took me a very long time to read a very short book--perhaps if this was digested at one or two sittings, it would resonate more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncommon Reader.

05/14 marked as: read

message 1: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new) - added it

Ann This sounds quite deligtful!

message 2: by Qt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Qt I agree! I haven't heard of Alan Bennett but I look forward to your review :-)

message 3: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new) - added it

Ann It's not too long either - so hopefully you'll be able to read it quickly!:)

message 4: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Yay!!!:D

Melanie I just finished reading this - I thought it was, on the whole, a delightful little volume of the pleasures and perils of reading, although I wasn't much on the ending (very bizarre, if you ask me). Do let me know what you think of it!

Kathryn Thanks, Melanie! I look forward to trying it! :->

message 7: by Ann (new) - added it

Ann Glad you enjoyed this so much! It sounds quite delightful!

message 8: by X (new)

X Great review! I'm glad it was good; it sounds really neat!

message 9: by Qt (new)

Qt Nice review! It sounds like quite a delicious little book, and one I'll have to watch for.

message 10: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally The Bright Young Things are reading this novel in June. We'd love you to share your views about it with us. If you haven't already checked us out why not join us?

Hope to see you there soon.

Ally