Veronika's Reviews > The Heir

The Heir by Kiera Cass

My blog: http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-...

"You can be brave and still be feminine. You can lead and still love flowers. Most importantly, you can be queen and still be a bride."

If I had to say one word about The Heir, I'd go with underwhelming. It was not a bad book but I just couldn't like it as much as I did The Selection. Even at the best parts it couldn't live up to the previous books and I mainly blame the narrator for that.

Eadlyn had a lot of potential but unfortunately she failed my expectations. From the first moment I thought she was selfish, whiny and quite heartless. Meanwhile I thought she'll redeem herself later on. No such luck. Eadlyn continued to complain about having way too much work to do and having the weight of the world on her shoulder. At the same time she left all decisions to Maxon, which was fine because he was the king after all, but then why wouldn't she stop bitching about the amount of pressure she was under? Allegedly she had to learn a lot and she didn't understand maths... woah I feel so sorry for her. (view spoiler) I'm sorry but I just couldn't relate to her.

"No one was more powerful than me."
- she says this soo many times that I can't even count.

I was still hoping for great character development but I never got it. Eadlyn did change throughout the novel but the biggest change happened at the very end. It wasn't only unrealistic but rushed too. It felt wrong to me that something so drastic had to happen to make Eadlyn realise how wrong she was.

The romance was predictable and bored me to no end. From the very first moment we met the guys it was obvious who'll have a chance with Eadlyn. What I hated the most about this was how patronizing she was to all of them, besides the one guy who'd have really deserved it.(view spoiler)I was surprised to see that she had no idea why people dislike her. Jeez, I don't understand either, can you help me out here?

I never thought it's possible to have 35 guys and not be interested in any of them, but that's how I felt while reading The Heir. I'd go as far that I don't think I like any of these guys. I feel like I don't know anything about them besides their names and a few non-important things. I get that it must be hard on the author to introduce us to so many new characters but at least one or two guys could have got more attention. While it is obvious which guys Eadlyn prefers at the moment I don't see myself shipping them in the next book. What I liked in America and Maxon was always their banter and cute scenes, so far none of these happened here. I feel like these guys are either batshit afraid of Eadlyn or don't care about her at all. I wanted a guy to tell Eadlyn when she's wrong and tell her to go screw herself when she put him in an awkward situation. Did this happen? NO. Also, don't look for chemistry between the characters, there's none.

There were so many supporting characters besides the guys, and I felt like even Cass forgot about them once in a while. Josie was made to look sort of important in the beginning but then she was completely forgotten, as I'm sure she is in there. Ahren and Eadlyn's younger brothers were casually mentioned here and there and appeared to eat but not much than that. I was surprised to see that I didn't like Marlee at all. (view spoiler) It was wrong on so many levels that I just can't deal with it. Eadlyn's maid appeared at the right times for Eadlyn to hurt her feelings but at least she did told her what a little bitch she was. Have I mentioned before that Eadlyn can't take critic to crazy levels. Whenever someone said something to her that she didn't like she became mad as hell and hated on the said person.

Eadlyn's lovely words to her maid:

“That’s not what I mean. It’s simply intriguing to me the dynamic you must have. You have my laundry in your arms, and he might cure a disease. Those are two incredibly different roles in the world.”

Obviously, this novel wasn't all bad. I pretty much loved Ahren and thought he was unbelievably cute with Camille (his girlfriend). Also, he was a great brother, who Eadlyn should have appreciated more. She never once asked Ahren what was up with him, meanwhile she expected him to not only listen to her whining but agree with her all the time. There really were many amazing and emotional parts. Unfortunately, none of them could been thanked to Eadlyn. Maxon was as sweet as ever and America seems like a nice queen. This part:

“My father has never so much as swatted my hand, and he’s always taught us to seek peaceful resolutions. Ahren and I gave up trying to fight each other before we could really talk.”

Despite my review I don't think fans will dislike the book, actually I heard that some enjoyed it more than the previous books. As for me, my hatred toward Eadlyn was the thing that ruined the book for me, thus I can't give it more than three stars, even though that breaks my heart because, as you could have seen in my review of the original trilogy, I love The Selection.

PS: I know The Selection got a lot of attack for being anti-feminist but I wouldn't call this book completely feminist either. While Eadlyn was right in that no woman needs a man to be a queen, both literally and rhetorically speaking, no woman should make a man feel like shit and less than her somehow. Feminists, as far as I know, are fighting for equality. I believe forcefully that a woman is nowhere less than a man BUT men are no less than women either and should never be treated as such. What Eadlyn did was disgusting and horrible and I can not like her for standing up for women this way.

The story idea: 3/5
Final Rating: 3/5

BEFORE READING:
THAT COVER *-*

description

WHAT IS THIS? IS THIS REAL? OH MY GOD GUYS THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!

description

I can't believe that this is really happening. I bet it will be about Maxon and America's kid because seriously: The Heir.

description

I can't freaking control myself. And May 5th isn't that much far away... I guess. Wait it's still 9 months, nine freaking months away!

But I'm still like:

description

This better be freaking amazing or else...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir.

August 14, 2014 – Shelved
August 14, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 5, 2015 – Started Reading
May 5, 2015 –
0.0% ""Everyone does. You two are practically a fairy tale." - I don't think we heard the same story haha."
May 5, 2015 –
0.0% "I liked America better than Eadlyn. I hope one of the guys will show her not to think of herself as someone above everyone else."
May 5, 2015 –
0.0% "Every time Eadlyn says dad I have to remind myself that her dad is MAXON. F*ck this is strange."
May 6, 2015 –
50.0% "Why does Eadlyn have to be so mean. She's calling Josie a bitch while she looks down on EVERYONE. \n "That’s hardly the point. It’s mine, and she shouldn’t be wearing it. When she walks around like that, she gives the impression that she’s royal when she’s not. It’s inappropriate. Could you please talk to her about her behavior?""
May 6, 2015 –
0.0% "I'm trying not to but I hate Eadlyn. Every time I start to warm up to her she does something horrible. She's so full of herself. She puts her needs in front of everyone else. Even her brother who she supposedly loves."
May 6, 2015 –
100.0% "Overall this was an enjoyable read but didn't give anything to the series."
May 6, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: something-is-missing
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: well-that-was-dumb
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: unnecessary-sequel
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Ananya (new) - added it

Ananya Tripathi if what u say becomes true...u knw about the kidd n all I'll die out of excitement. ..I mean another book is a unbelievable thing in itself isn't it

Veronika After reading the epilogue of The One I'm kind of positive that it'll be about their kid. I don't think there's more in America's and Maxon's story meanwhile their kid! Imagine them as parents, Maxon as a father awww can't wait. :)

message 3: by JJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

JJ Those gifs... :D

Coralie You have captured my reaction perfectly. Perfectly.

Tayla It actually comes out on the 5th of May :)

Veronika Oh well, thanks for the heads-up. I'm wondering if it was changed or if I'm that bad with numbers haha.

Rashika You are so right about Eadlyn. As much as I thought no character can be as frustrating as America, Kiera proved me wrong with Eadlyn. I mean how can someone be so unknown to the fact that why people don't like them. I couldn't connect to any of the character even though I like the authors writing style. The only character I like is Erik, the translator.

Veronika Rashika wrote: "You are so right about Eadlyn. As much as I thought no character can be as frustrating as America, Kiera proved me wrong with Eadlyn. I mean how can someone be so unknown to the fact that why peopl..."

Same here, Erik is nowhere near my favorite characters but at least he's likable. I don't buy him as a love interest, though.

Brynn black Question.... does eadlyn ever become likeable? I'm on page 100 and I think she is a witch... or maybe something that rhymes with witch.

Veronika I didn't find her more likable as the story progressed but her character does develops a little. I think. Or maybe I just got used to her horrible attitude by the end. I completely agree with you, such a witch.

Elizabeth I agree with all of it!! The selection is one of my favorite series and I was a little disappointed by this one but I still joyed it. Great review!!

Veronika Elizabeth wrote: "I agree with all of it!! The selection is one of my favorite series and I was a little disappointed by this one but I still joyed it. Great review!!"

Thanks, Elizabeth! <33

message 13: by Fn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fn I agree with you on she being "no one is powerful than me" countless times like we get it woman! just because she's the heir doesn't mean she can take all over the world with that kind of attitude.

As the progress goes, I thought she'll get to know better about josie when [spoiler(?)] kile told her that josie being a shadow.

[Spoiler (?)] Lastly, the kisses for Henri and Kile (with the quite intense make out) were in a rush for a month when I found she had only left two months to decide.

Sometimes, Eadlyn is a witch with a B.

Veronika I feel like she knows that Josie feels less than her, she just doesn't really care. Ugh, she definitely is a witch. :S

message 15: by Sage (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sage But Baden did tell Eadlyn to screw herself! It was very deserved too. His actions were very saturating to me.

message 16: by Sage (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sage His actions were very satiating to me.

Veronika Sage wrote: "His actions were very satiating to me."
You are right on that one, but, IDK, I didn't feel like he got mad at her for the important stuff - after all he had no right to ask for a date, that's in the rules. He seemed quite petty to me, to be honest - what an asshole move to tell the press everything.

Iffsy this is literally how i feel. loved it bc u literally ranted everything i hated too.